How to make feathers grow back faster ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mavis4, Jul 27, 2016.

1. mavis4

mavis4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2015
    i recently had problems with chickens pecking each other but now it's been sorted thanks to specticals. But now I still have a half bald chicken. Could you please suggest ways or things I can do to make her feathers grow back faster ? Would bathing her on Epsom salts help or not ? If not please could you give me suggestions ? Thanks x

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

A nutritious diet rich in calcium may help. Also, look for feathers the are broken off rather than plucked completely. Pulling these feathers will speed up new feather growth. If broken feathers are not plucked, new feathers will not grow in until the bird molts. And that could be months away.

3. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    [​IMG]

This was a lifesaver for me my chicken was completely feather less from the beak to bottom from a possum attack, this stuff is a little pricey but we'll worth it! You can get it and any fed store, rural king tractor supply or the coop. Mine had her feathers fully grown backing a month and she was bad!

[​IMG]

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    There is a feed called Feather Fixer. i have heard good things about it.

5. mavis4

Dec 24, 2015
    Wow that stuff sounds amazing !! What exactly dose it do and how dose it work ?

6. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    I just sprayed it on her affected areas 3 times a day. I got the poultry care kind, not really sure what's in it that makes it work but it was highly recommend by the farmer down the street. It has no antibiotics so there's no egg withdrawal and it's safe enough to spray in Thier face. But I can tell you from experience this stuffs amazing!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. gillymae

gillymae New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    California
    I absolutely agree, Vetericyn is great stuff! Everyone who raises chickens near me uses it as a "cure-all" for most things affecting the chickens' combs, wattles, or other skin areas. I've never used to regrow feathers, but it is definetly worth a shot!

8. mavis4

Dec 24, 2015

ok great! I can't seem to find the poultry care kind anywhere but I have found some general animal ones would that work ?

9. mavis4

Dec 24, 2015
    It's this [​IMG]

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Up their protein intake, and make sure they have ample space in both the coop and run. Layer feed has barely enough protein to support egg production, but isn't nearly enough for feather growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by