How to make feathers grow back faster ?

mavis4

Chirping
Dec 24, 2015
i recently had problems with chickens pecking each other but now it's been sorted thanks to specticals. But now I still have a half bald chicken. Could you please suggest ways or things I can do to make her feathers grow back faster ? Would bathing her on Epsom salts help or not ? If not please could you give me suggestions ? Thanks x

i recently had problems with chickens pecking each other but now it's been sorted thanks to specticals. But now I still have a half bald chicken. Could you please suggest ways or things I can do to make her feathers grow back faster ? Would bathing her on Epsom salts help or not ? If not please could you give me suggestions ? Thanks x

A nutritious diet rich in calcium may help. Also, look for feathers the are broken off rather than plucked completely. Pulling these feathers will speed up new feather growth. If broken feathers are not plucked, new feathers will not grow in until the bird molts. And that could be months away.

This was a lifesaver for me my chicken was completely feather less from the beak to bottom from a possum attack, this stuff is a little pricey but we'll worth it! You can get it and any fed store, rural king tractor supply or the coop. Mine had her feathers fully grown backing a month and she was bad!

This was a lifesaver for me my chicken was completely feather less from the beak to bottom from a possum attack, this stuff is a little pricey but we'll worth it! You can get it and any fed store, rural king tractor supply or the coop. Mine had her feathers fully grown backing a month and she was bad!

Wow that stuff sounds amazing !! What exactly dose it do and how dose it work ?

I just sprayed it on her affected areas 3 times a day. I got the poultry care kind, not really sure what's in it that makes it work but it was highly recommend by the farmer down the street. It has no antibiotics so there's no egg withdrawal and it's safe enough to spray in Thier face. But I can tell you from experience this stuffs amazing!

Last edited:
I absolutely agree, Vetericyn is great stuff! Everyone who raises chickens near me uses it as a "cure-all" for most things affecting the chickens' combs, wattles, or other skin areas. I've never used to regrow feathers, but it is definetly worth a shot!

I absolutely agree, Vetericyn is great stuff! Everyone who raises chickens near me uses it as a "cure-all" for most things affecting the chickens' combs, wattles, or other skin areas. I've never used to regrow feathers, but it is definetly worth a shot!

ok great! I can't seem to find the poultry care kind anywhere but I have found some general animal ones would that work ?

Up their protein intake, and make sure they have ample space in both the coop and run. Layer feed has barely enough protein to support egg production, but isn't nearly enough for feather growth.

Back
Top Bottom