how to make golden duckwings?

ODEY587

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 22, 2011
if i cross a bbr oegb and a silverduckwing will i get golden duckwings? thanks for any input and i love this fourm

Quote:
You will want to use the SDW male over the BB red hen, the first generation males will be a very light golden all the pullets will appear SDW. The second generation use th ebest Golden Cockrell over a few of teh pullets. The pullets will still carry some of the extra genes required to enhance the gold, from that you should expect some SDW pullets, and BB Red pullets, Golden Males with better color and SDW males, and several cockrells with a mix of silver and gold.

Just go with your original plan
smile.png
It does work.

Quote:
I believe sjarvis is right about going the Silver Duckwing Male over the gold duckwing hen, breeding for golden duckwing is not as easy as one my think, at least if you plan to show them..

would be nice to have introduce, Dominant Dilute, or Cream to the OEG to make true breeding Golden Duckwings..

here is a nice Cream duckwing
Quote:
Brian Reeder believes European Partridge Wyandottes that have lemon hackles and saddles have Dominant Dilute
IMGP9093-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe sjarvis is right about going the Silver Duckwing Male over the gold duckwing hen, breeding for golden duckwing is not as easy as one my think, at least if you plan to show them..

would be nice to have introduce, Dominant Dilute, or Cream to the OEG to make true breeding Golden Duckwings..

Quote:

X2

Quote:

Quote:
Brian Reeder believes European Partridge Wyandottes that have lemon hackles and saddles have Dominant Dilute
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg218/choc_013/IMGP9093-1-1.jpg

It is in process as we speak, Located a cream light brown dutch cockrell that was donated to the cause, and 3 of my BB red OE hens eggs have started dropping. The Boys should be well set for showing "Golden Males" in a year or so..

Quote:

Quote:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg218/choc_013/IMGP9093-1-1.jpg

It is in process as we speak, Located a cream light brown dutch cockrell that was donated to the cause, and 3 of my BB red OE hens eggs have started dropping. The Boys should be well set for showing "Golden Males" in a year or so..

WOW... you are Fast...

I'll be doing my part on the Dominant Dilute gene, seems like its somewhat weaker than Cream as it turns the hackle and saddle to a lemon color and not quite cream.. BUT its nice..

my frind Mrs. Kaz is helping me out alot this is one of her quotes
Quote:
so basicaly Di/di+ boys can't be spot, just Di/di+ saddly I did not hatch any girls, I will be using one of my boys and breed him back to his mother and about 3 more wild type OEG hens and see if I can spot a few hens, and see if I can spot a Di/Di boy from the buff hen... wish me good luck

Last edited:
Quote:
I have done this with Duckwing and Birchen based varieties both. You need the additional genes to enhance the Red (genetic gold) in order to get the desired color. The F1 pullets will be the cleanest brightest silver but will carry the additional genes needed to enhance the gold when breed back to a "Golden Male" They can also be used to clean up Silver Duckwing males hackles if breed back to Silver Duckwing Males.
Your F1 males will show very little "golden" color as they lack the additional genes to really bring out the genetic gold to more recogizable color. They will simply look like a sun brassed Silver duckwing.

Back
Top Bottom