How to make roo stop attacking

Personally, when mine jumps on my leg I just toss him off and then advance on him until he backs down. I miss my old rooster
sad.png
he was a sweet white bantam who loved attention. If one of my other roos jumped at me he would go and push that roo away and squak at him. RIP

Try what you want from the other posts on here. My husband has got our rooster to leave him alone, but that doesn't do me much good, or the kids or my neighbors. So, once I get a hatch, he has to go. When my mom was little, the little boy next door lost an eye to a rooster. I'm not risking that with my kids or the neighborhood kids.

Roosters that are aggressive are much less aggressive in a soup pot.

We had a bantam cochin rooster that was mean. We didn't cull him but kept him in a cage. We tried carrying him and making him submissive. We tried other methods that people suggested. Nothing worked. He would fly at us and whack us when we fed him. My husband knocked him clean out... totally unconcious SEVERAL times. The little jerk bird would wake up, shake it off and fly at us again.

When we moved I didn't have facilities to keep chickens so I gave them all to my sister. I let her know he was aggressive. She kept him free in the yard, and he attacked her multiple times. She booted him many times... hard enough to knock him unconscious.... again. She whacked him so hard one time she broke his leg. She splinted him and bandaged the little booger up, and he healed up to attack another day.

As grumpy grew older he mellowed. He just kind of kept to himself. He died at the age of 9. Rest in peace you little warrior.

I really don't know why we didn't put him in the soup pot. Maybe it was because he was a bantem. He wouldn't have made much of a meal. He never could seem to "get ya" above the boot. If he had been a larger bird he would have been keeping company with noodles in a hurry.

As you can see some will try to live with a bad roo and others don't. I fall into the group of replace. Why live with the issue or possible case of someone getting hurt. There are so many nice roosters that you could be enjoying in place of one you don't.

When I was a child my uncle had a mean ol' roo that flew at your face when you walked in the coop. You learned really fast to put your arm across your face when you walked into the coop to get the eggs. He never flew at my uncle's face so he kept him. If I had been that roo's owner I would have made soup of him because he was dangerous to children and no child should have to run the risk of blindness for a BIRD. If you try a few things people have meantioned and they don't work, cook him and get one of many free roosters that will be available early this summer.

Rooster aggression is a normal part of being a rooster. The alpha rooster keeps the others from eating before the hens eat. He keeps the other roosters from mating with the hens where he can see them. When there is doubt about the pecking order, the roosters will challenge each other for the alpha role..

It is very simple to be the alpha "rooster" and keep your male chickens in the secondary role. You would only need to cull or rehome a rooster that refused to back down or that causes an unsafe situation with other people (eg. children).

Suggest you visit my Handling Rooster Aggression page. It describes the method and includes links to a couple of other interesting views on the subject.

I'm having this problem as well. I have an Ameracauna rooster; he'll be a year old April 6th. He's pretty feisty...fortunately he doesn't have spurs yet, just little nubs...so while he startles me, I'm not afraid of him at this point because I know he's can't hurt me. But if you aren't careful, when you go into the coop to get the feeder or the waterer, he'll fly up at you. He's received a few swift kicks, which will back him off, but not for good. When I got my chickens, I read a great deal because I really wanted to avoid an aggressive rooster; we had one when I was a kid that my dad wound up beating to death with a tobacco stick...had to just to get it off of him, the thing wouldn't quit.

Amos (my rooster) has been a little extra pissy lately. I have a broody hen, and I wonder if this is why? I let them all out of the coop today (first time in quite some time...the coop has a run, they're perfectly fine in there, I just like to let them out into the yard occasionally). I went to hang out some towels, and Amos stalked me all the way across the yard. I keep telling my hubs it's off with his head if he attacks me, and the hubs says all roosters are mean...but I keep reading on here that they aren't.

Is it okay to clip their spurs?

I liked the article,..and that is what I did with my last mean roo. He was one of my chicks, so I think that helped him "understand" me,...but some days I just didn't want to fool with him or didn't have time to talk him out of it, so I'd just put him in a cage. When I was done feeding, I'd let him back out.
Once they start that crap, it's hard to stop it.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom