How to make sure runt of batch still can eat/drink?

Life is Good!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2011
suburbia Chicagoland
Our littlest chick is only 8oz (weighed her today). Our biggest chick is 18oz!
That's quite a spread. Most of the 11 chicks are between 12 to 15 oz.

I'd like to raise the water-bowl and feeders, but am afraid that the littlest one won't be able to obtain what she/he needs. She/he does get bullied a fair amount (low chick on totem pole) and waits until everyone bigger has their fill - then she/he goes to get food/water...along with one or two other smaller ones...

Suggestions? I'm tired of the litter in the water and mixed in with the feed! (I've got a cast on my broken foot and it's getting harder and harder to get out to change their water 2x/day - and trying REALLY hard not to get too much poo mixed in with the cast! Ewww.)

Get some bricks, 2x6 wooden boards, whatever ya got, and put the water up on those - it will cut down on the shavings in the water, and she'll be able to hop up and drink while the others can either hop up or just reach up.

Also, do yourself a favor and switch to either a rabbit waterer (don't go cheap - get a good one that doesn't leak, they're only 2-3$ more and will save you a lot of heartache) or if your local feed stores sell them, pick up a few of the nipple waterers and make a little chick waterer. I used a horse supplement bucket (had it lying around) for one of ours for the little guys, works perfect. I think it also kind of gives them something to do, pecking at the nipples all the time. -shrug-

Either one they will learn in about 4 seconds how to use them. Just kind of force-water one or two chicks so they get a drink after you press their beak against it, and they'll teach the others.

Back
Top Bottom