How to manage a Rooster and be the boss?

Just one thing, a 'friendly' cockerel can be the worst.
At that age, I like my cockerels to have a healthy respect for me, and mostly keep out of my way.
Then, when they are older and don't have raging hormones any more, I will gain their trust and get them to relax with me.
Interesting! Thank you! I just read the thread and I appreciate you sending it to me. Very different take/info that I can apply. Thanks!

Just one thing, a 'friendly' cockerel can be the worst.
At that age, I like my cockerels to have a healthy respect for me, and mostly keep out of my way.
Then, when they are older and don't have raging hormones any more, I will gain their trust and get them to relax with me.
It may be important to note that I hand raised him from 2 days old. Not sure if that makes a rooster more friendly…. As of now I’ve treated him more like a pet but having read more about roosters I want to do the right thing and establish the right boundaries. Being proactive. I didn’t like that he pecked at me and did a shuffle dance at me… though I understand it and his role.

I just think you should let him grow up a bit more beforehand.
In the moment, think of him like the teenager he is.
Teens want to test boundaries, and are trying to find out who they want to be. So I would let him work out how the world works and where he stands in it by himself without cuddling him too much.
Let him learn about authority!
Then, once he has settled down, that is the time to befriend him, and you can make a partnership and both look after the flock together.

But this is just how I deal with my cockerels and roosters, and there is a lot of different ways people do it.
See if you can find out what works for you.
I appreciate this info because I hadn’t thought about it this way and really want to do the right thing in the end. Thanks!

Personally I think that when you hold him or he sits on your lap, you are taking the submissive position. It might be you really have not seen a rooster in a mature flock. The hens adore him. They groom him, pet him and are delighted with him being the top dog. People tend to see that as being friendly. Chickens see it as being submissive.

This will either settle or go wrong. And to be honest, not much will depend on how you do it now. Now is rather too late in my book. He is not afraid of you, does not give you space, you see that as a good thing, he sees that as being the boss.

People really don't have that much influence unless you are living in the coop. A few moments in the morning and afternoon, really are not much time. Other birds have a better influence, and older birds often do teach proper society. I think you do get a better rooster with them.

But as for this, do report back how it works...but do have a plan B, one that is at hand, set up and ready to go. Sometimes the attack comes out of nowhere. IF YOU HAVE children - get rid of him.

MRs K
You’re always a voice of reason. We decided today to bring him to a rooster sanctuary. He goes in the morning. Very interesting what you say about the petting and picking up… I thought I was helping but I do see your point there. Very hard.

Ok! I’m not afraid to boot him if necessary. I’m the top boss. I think my problem is I just want him to be my friend …. But he’s a chicken! Worse… A rooster, Oh, well! I got into this for enjoyment and I think he’s a good boy but I also think he could turn if i do the right thing or not because I guess this is common with roosters. It’s very frustrating to love chickens.
I absolutely agree with you - its hard--my RIR is gorgeous and very good to his 6 hens but I had to learn a hard lesson- as much as I wanted him to like me-he is ultimately an animal. He flogged me a couple ot times (stealth-like) and now that he is almost a year old he has grown some impressive spurs. Ive had him since he was 5 months old and for the most part he's been good but b/c of those times he got me I dont trust him...I think he knows. I now walk around with a stick and make sure he stays 4 feet or so from me. I hope he doesnt attempt it again b/c he could find himself in my slow-cooker and I dont like to think about it but chickens have taught me some realities I have to face. I really didnt want a rooster but we are raising chicks now. God help me😮

Personally I think that when you hold him or he sits on your lap, you are taking the submissive position. It might be you really have not seen a rooster in a mature flock. The hens adore him. They groom him, pet him and are delighted with him being the top dog. People tend to see that as being friendly. Chickens see it as being submissive.

This will either settle or go wrong. And to be honest, not much will depend on how you do it now. Now is rather too late in my book. He is not afraid of you, does not give you space, you see that as a good thing, he sees that as being the boss.

People really don't have that much influence unless you are living in the coop. A few moments in the morning and afternoon, really are not much time. Other birds have a better influence, and older birds often do teach proper society. I think you do get a better rooster with them.

But as for this, do report back how it works...but do have a plan B, one that is at hand, set up and ready to go. Sometimes the attack comes out of nowhere. IF YOU HAVE children - get rid of him.

MRs K
Reread this and it brought me more comfort the second time. Thank you for being compassionate and straight with me. My rooster is doing well at the sanctuary and perhaps in 10 years when my children are grown I can take another chance on a roo.

@ Browniethechicken - you don't have to wait until they are grown 10 years, unless they are infants now? Once a child gets to be 7+ he/she is tall enough not to take an attack in the face, and generally have enough weight not to knocked down.

But if it is hard for you to cull a rooster, just an all hen flock is nice too.

Mrs K
The pullets/hens seem great without the cockerel. Certainly, my alpha hen is happier since he left her with a bloody wound on her head. She’s healing well. Things are quieter on the homestead. Family misses the crowing though.

Your experience is valuable. Thank you for sharing. I was under the impression that rooster aggression and displays of dominance are commonplace. I appreciate hearing your take. Glad to hear it! Why do you think you’ve had so few human aggressive roosters? What do you attribute it to? Perhaps, your breeding program and care? Thank you for sharing. I’m sad that mine started pecking at my kid and a top hen. He was a cool dude. I thought handling and picking him up would help. Couldn’t risk escalation with my kid otherwise I would have stuck it out. Again, thanks for commenting!
Your experience is valuable. Thank you for sharing. I was under the impression that rooster aggression and displays of dominance are commonplace. I appreciate hearing your take. Glad to hear it! Why do you think you’ve had so few human aggressive roosters? What do you attribute it to? Perhaps, your breeding program and care? Thank you for sharing. I’m sad that mine started pecking at my kid and a top hen. He was a cool dude. I thought handling and picking him up would help. Couldn’t risk escalation with my kid otherwise I would have stuck it out. Again, thanks for commenting!
I have close to 200 chickens. So I don’t go out of my way to make them pets. Even with those numbers, I have some hens that feel secure enough around people. That when we are sitting out in the yard. They will jump up on a knee or or chair arm. To inspect us more closely. Some will settle down into a roosting position and even close their eyes. A few will allow themselves to be petted. Since the hens came to us, the roosters don’t view as a threat, that they need to defend against. I currently have a bantam rooster that will also get up in a chair with us. He has gone as far as letting us massage his comb and settled in for a nap. Unlike a hen, that will jump down if they don’t feel like being touched. He will flare his hackles and peck at our hands. Which he gets forced off the chair for.

Last edited:
There are 3 kinds of roosters, one that will stay away from you, but watch you the whole time, and one that will come up to you for love, but not try and fight you, and then the aggressive kind.

I don't have trouble with any kind, since if an aggressive rooster comes up to me I grab it an carry it around, soon it learns if it comes around it will be picked up. If you ever show fear and run from a rooster, he has placed you lower in his pecking order, and the abuse will get worse.
I never offer a boot or a broom to fight him, that is also putting yourself on his level. He is up for the challenge. Always walk with purpose, but keep an eye on him, if he does come up don't turn your back on him.
And bring treats.

Thanks for your message. I’m curious what realities chickens have taught you? I’m fascinated please tell me more. And I would agree!
lol - just warching the ways they do things--alot like people. One has a lizard and everyone wants it. People can be mean .. ive experienced the pecking order myself. They like to have dust baths... its almost like they are relaxing at the spa... almost everyone likes to have relax time..lol. Chickens get spoiled.. you give them too many treats and thats all they want--people are like that. Chickens tend to follow the leader--for the most part they stick together for safety and psychological comfort and they learn from watching each other -sort of like kids. Finally, life is a cycle...the circle of life and you see that thru the life if chickens. I dont know--its interesting to me anyway😉

Back
Top Bottom