How to mingle the flock?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hey ya'll!
Looking for advice, let me explain...
I have a rooster named Tex and a pullet named Stella. They have been together since they were chicks they are now 20 weeks. I also have 9 chicks that are 4 wks old. We have a 14x75 foot fenced area for them. Right now it is split. The first section has a coop and a metal run, which the chicks are in and another smaller coop. The other section has a larger coop which Tex and Stella were in together. I moved Stella into the other side with the smaller coop because I plan in eventually moving her in with the chicks. This way she can get close to the chicks but she cannot get in the metal run or their coop. This did not make Tex happy. My question is, should I take the middle fence down and let Tex and Stella run around the whole thing.... where they have access to the 2 coops but not the chicks or their run and eventually put them all together? Or should I keep Tex separate? I added a photo to hopefully help explain.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20211116_170258.jpg
    20211116_170258.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 13
Why are Stella and Tex separate at all? You said you want to integrate Stella but not Tex, so is Tex going away so you don't see a need to integrate him? If so, I wouldn't worry about him being upset, he'll be leaving soon enough (I assume).
Well, I have been trying to find a home for him but no body wants him. I am not worried about him being upset. I am more worried about how he will treat the little ones.

Well, I have been trying to find a home for him but no body wants him. I am not worried about him being upset. I am more worried about how he will treat the little ones.
Every rooster is different, but just because he's a male doesn't mean he will harm them.
I had a pullet hatch two chicks this year and my rooster didn't give them a second glance.
I would let him be with Stella and, hopefully you can find him a new home like you wanted, and they will integrate successfully.

Every rooster is different, but just because he's a male doesn't mean he will harm them.
I had a pullet hatch two chicks this year and my rooster didn't give them a second glance.
I would let him be with Stella and, hopefully you can find him a new home like you wanted, and they will integrate successfully.
Thank you. My only experience with roosters is not pleasant which is why I am fearful but honestly so far he has treated Stella well.

My question is, should I take the middle fence down and let Tex and Stella run around the whole thing.... where they have access to the 2 coops but not the chicks or their run and eventually put them all together?
Yes, except that I might swap so the chicks (all 9 of them) have the bigger section, and Tex & Stella have the smaller one.

Or should I keep Tex separate?
I would watch Tex, and separate him if he causes a problem, but I would not keep him separate unless a problem actually happens. (Examples of when I would separate: overmating of Stella to the point of her losing feathers or constantly trying to avoid him, or picking on the chicks enoughn to cause bleeding.)

Yes, except that I might swap so the chicks (all 9 of them) have the bigger section, and Tex & Stella have the smaller one.

I would watch Tex, and separate him if he causes a problem, but I would not keep him separate unless a problem actually happens. (Examples of when I would separate: overmating of Stella to the point of her losing feathers or constantly trying to avoid him, or picking on the chicks enoughn to cause bleeding.)
Thank you! This is helpful! How long should I let them close to each other before letting them all actually be together?

Thank you. My only experience with roosters is not pleasant which is why I am fearful but honestly so far he has treated Stella well.
I totally understand. All the roosters my family ever had when I was growing up were terrors.
I butchered a cockerel earlier this year after he attempted to attack my son and I. So far, the current boy I have is sweet and respectful, so I will keep him as long as he stays that way.

I totally understand. All the roosters my family ever had when I was growing up were terrors.
I butchered a cockerel earlier this year after he attempted to attack my son and I. So far, the current boy I have is sweet and respectful, so I will keep him as long as he stays that way.
Tex tried to bite me yesterday. Luckily he only got my boot. He doesn't have spurs yet thank goodness. He is about to learn who the boss is lol.

Back
Top Bottom