How to Move a Broody Hen

RileyB

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 7, 2012
NH
We have three chickens who are identical and all share a favorite nesting box. Because of that it took us awhile to realize one of our hens went broody. So...we have no idea when she started brooding. I'd like to candle the eggs to make sure they're developing, but when I tried to move her she tried to bite me. I don't want to distress her. Is there an easy way to move a broody hen? Or should I just let her be?

It is best to let her be because i have moved a broody hen and she got mad and left the nest (
he.gif
)!
Good Luck!

We have three chickens who are identical and all share a favorite nesting box. Because of that it took us awhile to realize one of our hens went broody. So...we have no idea when she started brooding. I'd like to candle the eggs to make sure they're developing, but when I tried to move her she tried to bite me. I don't want to distress her. Is there an easy way to move a broody hen? Or should I just let her be?
Are the other hens still trying to use the same nest? If so, then you'll get new eggs and probably some broken eggs form all the moving around.

IMO, it's better to separate the broody from the others so that nothing bothers her. Put on some gloves, give her a little corn to appease her and if possible, slide your hand under her to remove the eggs. If you can't get the eggs out first then slide your hands under her and pick her up while holding both wings and thighs in to her body. This will help prevent her from kicking the eggs around. Check as she may have an egg under her wings.

I use a plastic dishpan with a little straw in it to move them with. She's going to freak out so cover her with a towel. Most I've moved are okay once they're covered with the towel but one I had to actually wrap her in it to calm her down.

I moved the hen and the eggs I wanted her to hatch to a prepared nest box in the maternity ward, gave her a little water and some more corn. All four I've moved this season have been fine. Of course, my maternity ward is not in the regular coop. If she can see her original nest box she'll want to go back to it.

No, the others haven't been using that nest box...at least that I'm aware of. I'm not in the coop 24/7, so I can't be sure.

Thanks for the advice!

Unless there is a threat to the hen or the eggs I see no reason to ever move them. Of course this is always a personal choice depending on your set up, but if you feel comfortable that she's not being bullied by other hens trying to get in the nest, or some other threat, why fix it if it's not broken. I'd just leave her be and let her do her thing.

Yeah I agree with JanO, but if you feel like you should move her do it the way that Tobasco Jack said to!
If you leave her in there you might want to mark which eggs are hers so that if others do go in there and lay eggs when she is out eating and drinking you can collect those eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom