How to move at 10x12 coop?

Definitely a effective method, if one has a trailer and blocks. By the time the shed was high enough to load it on a trailer, it would be across the lawn and re leveled, using pipes.
I was thinking this as I read that other method. Unless you're traversing unlevel ground, the roller method is dead simple and fast. Heck, if you're headed downhill, it's *real* fast. In either case, the jacking part is the most time consuming bit of work and rollers just require a few inches with bottle jacks or just a lever depending on the situation.

I just moved a coop this way, though a little smaller than OP's. 2x4s for tracks, 4+ 1" (larger is better, but that may be what you're limited to) steel pipe wider than your skids for rollers, and away you go!

Last edited:
Either method should work fine. I've used PVC pipe and those round tree support poles for moving big heavy stuff by myself before, but now that I've got a sloped property there's no way I'd attempt moving a big coop/shed like that, could be dangerous without enough helpers to control it once gravity takes it down a slope.

Once I watched a house get moved. I didn't even know that was a thing people did to private residences before that day, but I guess it makes sense for older more historic structures being preserved. They cut holes in the foundation and threaded long beams through, with jacks on either end - then slowly jacked it up and would use these stacks of railroad ties to set it down on for repositioning of the jacks higher up. Then they were able to slide in a trailer to move it across town. It was amazing to watch. Can only imagine how expensive that was to do, there were A LOT of hands on deck

Either method should work fine. I've used PVC pipe and those round tree support poles for moving big heavy stuff by myself before, but now that I've got a sloped property there's no way I'd attempt moving a big coop/shed like that, could be dangerous without enough helpers to control it once gravity takes it down a slope.

Once I watched a house get moved. I didn't even know that was a thing people did to private residences before that day, but I guess it makes sense for older more historic structures being preserved. They cut holes in the foundation and threaded long beams through, with jacks on either end - then slowly jacked it up and would use these stacks of railroad ties to set it down on for repositioning of the jacks higher up. Then they were able to slide in a trailer to move it across town. It was amazing to watch. Can only imagine how expensive that was to do, there were A LOT of hands on deck
There's no way a shed could get out of control going down hill using the pipe method, unless you had pipes laid out the entire way. If using a few pipes, your not going to get the pipe from the back to the front in time and the front edge would dig in. Stopping the forward movement.

There's no way a shed could get out of control going down hill using the pipe method, unless you had pipes laid out the entire way. If using a few pipes, your not going to get the pipe from the back to the front in time and the front edge would dig in. Stopping the forward movement.
I don’t know OPs terrain, but we’ve seen all sorts of stuff roll down our sloped property that we never predicted - but it happened.

On my slope using small diameter PVC pipes is likely not any real issue there with digging in and pitching over. But I could see it happening using those big 6”diameter round wood fencing posts they sell at the feed stores; with a tall and skinny coop that was top-heavy.

Ya, if you add variables to the equation that are extreme, anything can happen.
I don’t know OPs terrain, but we’ve seen all sorts of stuff roll down our sloped property that we never predicted - but it happened.

On my slope using small diameter PVC pipes is likely not any real issue there with digging in and pitching over. But I could see it happening using those big 6”diameter round wood fencing posts they sell at the feed stores; with a tall and skinny coop that was top-heavy.

Back
Top Bottom