How to move

Jntnrmn

Songster
5 Years
Jul 7, 2015
Peru, Indiana
Wasn't sure where to post this question.....
I plan to be moving soon and am wondering if there is any advice on how to best move my chickens. I plan to use a net and MOST of them handle that well, but i just know there will be some that will stress terribly. Is there anything to put in their water that will help calm them? Or anything I can do to make it as stress free as possile?

I just moved my flock of 26 birds 12 miles or a twenty minute drive. I used my brooder coop which is a 3x5 with an elevated nesting box. I put them in the nesting box and loaded them in back of the pickup truck and drove to the new house and had them in their normal coop/run situation within a few minutes of arriving. It was in the 90’s and about 85% humidity. They were stressed out when we got to the new home but settled down shortly there after. I would try to move them in the morning before you let them out and the temps get too high

Can you give some more details about your move? Moving chickens cross-country is quite a different task than moving nearby. Also, how many chickens do you have?
I have 18 chickens and am only moving 5 minutes away. I worry the most about the cathching them part... i know once we get them there it should all work out. And i dont worry so much about the transport itself since its so quick....i just worry about catching them. I would say half of them do quite well with getting netted, have had to do that a few times and im careful how I do it. But the others act as though I plan to kill them if I walk toward them to fast

I just moved my flock of 26 birds 12 miles or a twenty minute drive. I used my brooder coop which is a 3x5 with an elevated nesting box. I put them in the nesting box and loaded them in back of the pickup truck and drove to the new house and had them in their normal coop/run situation within a few minutes of arriving. It was in the 90’s and about 85% humidity. They were stressed out when we got to the new home but settled down shortly there after. I would try to move them in the morning before you let them out and the temps get too high
Thanks so much for the reply

Easiest way is to just grab them off the roost while it's still dark. Place them in dog carriers (about 5 fit in a medium size). If you have to do it later, just leave them locked in the coop until you are ready.
Oh gosh, i have NO IDEA why I had not considered getting them straight from the roost! I have been working myself into a mess over this! THANK YOU! I had planned to move them as early in the morning as possible so they have the entire day to get used to new place and so I can watch them. So this is the perfect answer. Thanks again!

i know other people have suggested having them in the back of a truck, but my ducks did much better sitting next to me when we moved

Back
Top Bottom