how to naturally / organically de- worm your birds

I have free range hens. normally i would give them a big giant tub of feed in the morning and then let them do their thing for the rest of the day. they have no pen. is it okay if they forage? im sure they wont get completely full up. i just really want to try this but i cant guarantee that thy wont catch bugs and eat dirt and leaves and stuff. will it still work?

Just want to say thanks to all the post on this forum. Want to organicly worm my chicken and found a lot of great info. how many times a year should I worm when using say the pumkin seed/buttermilk or cayenne methods?

Today I found worms in the GI tract of a rooster I butchered. I am not an expert on intestinal parasites so I am not sure what kind they were. I got this rooster from another farm two weeks back because the former owner said "He is crowing crazy and mean. So have him if you want him. Or Im gonna shoot'em and let the coyotes have him." The rooster was mean, but only 8 monts old so I processsed him today. AND FOUND WORMS!!!
sickbyc.gif
So im freaked out a little. I also processed a buckeye today that was raised on my farm with no sign of worms. So do i need to worm my flock right away? Do i need to worm myself? If i do this pumpkin, buttermilk & bran remedy what seasons or age should i go with? Do you think feeding this at point of lay will cause issues with my pullets that are starting to lay? Thanks for any advice?

Hi, I keep/breed parrots & have been looking for ideas to naturally worm them.Do you know If this method will work for them too?

including the yogurt?

I keep Indian Ringnecks- one of the most hardy of all parrots.

I have just given my FOURTH dose of Valbazen -- today...    tapeworm segments.   Tapeworms are tough, it is taking forever, repeated dosages, and I have had to buy eggs...   YUK!

I will be watching..   I was still seeing tapeworm segments ten days after the third worming with Valbazen.   Uhg.  Can't wait for this to be over and me to get my beautiful, wonderful eggs back safe to eat!

Good luck....     I hope yours aren't as tough as mine./img/smilies/barnie.gif

(I had also done the pumpkin seeds, raw, ground, buttermilk mixed with them...    two or three times while doing this worming with Valbazen, still I have tapeworm segments!)

I am very sure the pumpkin seeds and buttermilk were good for all the chickens and may have helped to "move out" the dead and dying worms from their system....  but...   for serious tapeworms like this, I will stick with the Valbazen (or Zimectrine Gold sp?)

I want my "kids" well and worm free and laying my beautiful eggs..   I'm hungry!!/img/smilies/pop.gif  I was eating the eggs while they had tapeworms and I didn't know it..  and it was fine...   sounds yuckky, but was fine..  the eggs were good, no worms in the eggs...    but, the medicine means tossing the eggs..   save them up and put them in the trash the last day before trash day, well wrapped up...   or find someone with a pig they haven't wormed??
couldn't you scramble the med eggs and give them back to the chickens? I use green tobacco to worm most of my critters like my grandfather and great grandfather

Last edited:
couldn't you scramble the med eggs and give them back to the chickens? I use green tobacco to worm most of my critters like my grandfather and great grandfather
Sure wish I could find the thread where someone wormed their turkey with tobacco and it dropped dead as soon as they did.

-Kathy

Sure wish I could find the thread where someone wormed their turkey with tobacco and it dropped dead as soon as they did.

-Kathy
they probably either gave it ciggarette tobacco with all the poison in it or gave it too much or it may have been sprayed with pest spray because I do it my grand father did it his father did and so on. I'm not calling anyone stupid but one persons ignorance and lack of judgment resulting in failure is not proof something doesn't work... I mean you can O D on asprin can you not?

Last edited:
I don't pay much attention to many studies as many are done with the purpose of helping the pharmaceutical racket and supress or discredit natural cures so they can sell pills that have side effects worse than what your taking them for to keep people sick to make more money off of them because there's no long term money in cures or healthy people or animals for that matter. but ill try to find something on it
Please show me a properly documented study that shows the efficacy of worming with tobacco and how it's *not* toxic to birds and mammals. Glad you can get away with it, but I'd hate to see anyone else kill their birds after reading this.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom