how to naturally / organically de- worm your birds

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
So the season is upon us so here is the organic worming procedure/recipe I use and I have never had any worms or a problem with them that I know of. I have never used any de-wormer medicines and have some very healthy 4 year old hens that show no signs of slowing down. in addition to doing this treatment twice a year (as soon as pumpkins are available and then again in Dec with pumpkins I saved) I give the girls raw buttermilk from my co-op about once a month or so. This has been mentioned before in BYC but I figured it would not hurt to mention it again.
smile.png

I use raw buttermilk like I said from my co-op and organic pumpkins I grow myself but you can use the stuff in the store as well. No need to waste the pumpkin either just use the seeds from the one you are carving for Halloween although you may need several if you have a large or multiple flocks.

This treatment is a 3 day process. You will need fresh pumpkins, buttermilk, bran, regular milk

Day 1 remove all feed (leaving water) by noon so that chickens have nothing to eat and must fast (they will not be happy about this)

Day 2 Cut pumpkin like you are making a jack-o-lantern and scoop out all of the seeds (it is fine to have the stringy stuff as well. put in a blender with buttermilk and blend at high speed so that it becomes a wet mash of pulverized seeds and buttermilk.

feed this as the only feed after a day of fasting to all chickens (make sure there is enough for them all to fill up on it during the day) they will love it ad just might forgive you for starving them the day before.

Day 3 Now make a mash of bran flakes and regular milk (again I use raw cows milk since that's what we drink, and you should too
smile.png
) make sure they have enough of this all day as well.

Feed this mash to the birds and stay away from their rear end as there will be some wet yucky poo happening now.

Day 4 back to regular feed as usual with some DE and ACV in water ETA real yogurt as well will put back the good bacteria
smile.png
although if you use raw milk it will be in there as well.

Sounds weird I am sure but here is why you do this. The pumpkin seeds have a natural chemical in them that paralyze the worms and parasites in the birds intestines. The pumpkin seeds must be raw and chopped up in order to work. the buttermilk is a natural de-wormer of sorts not sure of the exact reason for it though. Anyway the worms get paralyzed and the next day the bran and milk act as a laxative expelling them from the bird. I have never seen any in the poo but since I dont have a problem with worms I dont really expect to, but I have spoken to people who have seen the worms be expelled when they did it and looked at the feces afterwards.

Hope this is helpful to those wanting an organic natural approach to worming

Last edited:
Way back when in the olden days tobacco was used to worm a variety of livestock. I used to use red devil lye to worm my hogs. Not any more...there are many safe tested chemical products on the market this day and time available to consumers. Additionally there's no more guess work regarding dosages and lengths of treatments. I am grateful for chemicals and will continue to use them in my birds. Time to move forward, not backwards.

Twenty-five years ago I was told it was okay to worm my horses with tobacco leaves, as we had them growing in our fields. Even I knew that was probably not a good idea, even though it had worked for my friend's grandad, so I gave them a proper tested recommended horse wormer. Now that I have chickens who are susceptible to harsh chemicals, I would never dream of giving them tobacco, when I can buy a $7 tube of SafeGuard equine paste and do the job. If one can't afford that they probably should just skip the worming. Since this is a public forum that many new chicken owners read for info, we should be responsible about recommending outdated ways of treating out pets and livestock.

couldn't you scramble the med eggs and give them back to the chickens? I use green tobacco to worm most of my critters like my grandfather and great grandfather
Sure wish I could find the thread where someone wormed their turkey with tobacco and it dropped dead as soon as they did.

-Kathy

Nice try, but that is not what I call a properly documented study. This one is a properly documented study on the efficacy of ivermectin as a wormer in poultry:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Hi, I keep/breed parrots & have been looking for ideas to naturally worm them.Do you know If this method will work for them too?

including the yogurt?

I keep Indian Ringnecks- one of the most hardy of all parrots.

I know you posted this last month, but no, please do not worm parrots like this. If you suspect worms in parrots, take them to a vet for testing and get an appropriate wormer. Where are your parrots picking up worms?

Folks can do all sorts of terrible things to chickens and chickens will live through it. It is more of a statement about how resilient chickens can be, vs. a statement about how clever some folks can be. Parrots are not always so tough. If you value your birds, take them to a veterinarian.

I am not suggesting that natural methods are "terrible", but sometimes advice on these forums is less than ideal for all situations....

Last edited:
Anyway I can post these all day tobacco has been used as dewormer for centuries and how often do you actually hear of an animal dieing? And when it happens it was either too much or contaminated. Make your own judgments but I'm sticking to what I know
There's not one properly conducted/documented study there, so until someone shows that to me, tobacco will remain on my "Top Ten Ways to Kill a Bird List".

-Kathy

Back in the day if you were really sick and near death, they bled you. Now there's a real safe method to fix you when you were sick.
smile.png
They also used to de louse people with kerosene as shampoo. Now that worked real well! They should still do that.

Does anybody here worm with marigold? I do. Horses and chickens.
No offense, but when it comes time to do the worm the horses we just unpack 14 tubes of ivermectin, ivermectin w/praziquantil or Safeguard and de-worm them, period. Equine surgery is way too expensive for us to risk de-worming any other way. But hey, if you have routine fecals done on your animals and they're always negative, that's great!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom