Worming chickens

Jun 28, 2021
Northwest Alabama
Went to my local co-op Friday to get chicken feed (where I always get feed and other things for chickens.) Was going to go ahead and get wormer to have on hand since I worm them when they take their break from laying during winter. Well, I asked the girl about the liquid wormer I can put in their drinking water like I’ve always done before. She told me she can’t get it anymore and she wasn’t sure why. One of the guys that works there says his girlfriend is going to veterinarian school and she said chickens didn’t need to be wormed. I don’t know what they are teaching at that school but they need to actually take a look a some chicken poop. That must be why they can’t get the liquid wormer anymore. Wondering if anyone else has come across this same situation. What else can I use to worm my chickens?

What were you using before?
What worms are you treating?
Are you in the US? I wonder if the girl has done her Parasitology courses yet....
Valbzen goat wormer works for anything but tapeworms.

It was probably Wazine, it was discontinued. I use the Safeguard goat wormer and Valbazen all the time, they are both great.
And yes, chickens do sometimes need to be wormed, same as most other animals.

Went to my local co-op Friday to get chicken feed (where I always get feed and other things for chickens.) Was going to go ahead and get wormer to have on hand since I worm them when they take their break from laying during winter. Well, I asked the girl about the liquid wormer I can put in their drinking water like I’ve always done before. She told me she can’t get it anymore and she wasn’t sure why. One of the guys that works there says his girlfriend is going to veterinarian school and she said chickens didn’t need to be wormed. I don’t know what they are teaching at that school but they need to actually take a look a some chicken poop. That must be why they can’t get the liquid wormer anymore. Wondering if anyone else has come across this same situation. What else can I use to worm my chickens?
Buy a pumpkin. Roast the seeds in the oven. Break them up and give them to your chickens. This paralyzes the worm and allows the chicken to pass them easier.

Buy a pumpkin. Roast the seeds in the oven. Break them up and give them to your chickens. This paralyzes the worm and allows the chicken to pass them easier.
Nope, it doesn't. It's an old wives tale.
Pumpkin seeds contain cucurbitin, which has very, very mild anthelmintic properties but pumpkin seeds contain high levels of antinutritional properties and toxic properties such as cucurbitacin. So in the level it would take to cause any effect on worms, would harm/kill the birds.

Back
Top Bottom