how to naturally / organically de- worm your birds

Anyway I can post these all day tobacco has been used as dewormer for centuries and how often do you actually hear of an animal dieing? And when it happens it was either too much or contaminated. Make your own judgments but I'm sticking to what I know
There's not one properly conducted/documented study there, so until someone shows that to me, tobacco will remain on my "Top Ten Ways to Kill a Bird List".

-Kathy

hmm.png

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/qt/nicotine-toxicity.htm
What is the toxic dose?
The toxic dose for nicotine in pets is 1/2-1 mg per pound of pet body weight, while the lethal dose is 4 mg per pound of pet body weight.1 The type of nicotine (cigarette butt, nicotine gum, etc.) and the size of the animal make it difficult to have a "one size fits all" answer, but in short, according to Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP: "a 40 lb dog would get very sick after eating one cigarette but would need 11 cigarettes to die from nicotine poisoning." Read full article: "Nicotine (Cigarette) Poisoning in Pets"
What is the treatment for nicotine toxicity?
Ingestion of nicotine is considered an emergency, and time is of the essence. If possible, have the type of nicotine and the approximate amount of nicotine that your pet ingested ready for your vet for aggressive treatment. Your veterinarian will want to: induce vomiting if the animal hasn't already vomited, administer activated charcoal, and start supportive therapy -- IV fluids, medications to control seizures and other nervous system effects if indicated. The sooner the body is rid of the nicotine (by vomiting and breakdown in the liver) the better the prognosis.
It should be noted that stomach absorption of nicotine is poor, but tobacco can be caustic to the stomach. Antacids should not be administered however, because stomach acids are primarily what inhibit the nicotine absorption. Nicotine is absorbed well from the small intestines though, so prompt treatment will prevent more of this toxin from getting into the bloodstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning
Toxicology[edit]

The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 0.5-1.0 mg/kg can be a lethal dosage for adult humans, and 0.1 mg/kg for children.[9][14] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which in mice has an LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg.
A person can overdose on nicotine through a combination of nicotine patches, nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler cartridges and/or tobacco smoking at the same time.[15][16] Ingestion of nicotine pharmaceuticals, tobacco products, or nicotine containing plants may also lead to poisoning.[4][5][6] Smoking excessive amounts of tobacco has also led to poisoning; a case was reported where two brothers smoked 17 and 18 pipes of tobacco in succession and were both fatally poisoned.[2] Spilling an extremely high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can result in intoxication or even death since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream following skin contact.[17][18]

Signs and symptoms[edit]

Nicotine poisoning tends to produce symptoms that follow a biphasic pattern. The initial symptoms are mainly due to stimulatory effects and include nausea and vomiting, excessive salivation, abdominal pain, pallor, sweating, hypertension, tachycardia, ataxia, tremor, headache, dizziness, muscle fasciculations, and seizures.[4] After the initial stimulatory phase, a later period of depressor effects can occur and may include symptoms of hypotension and bradycardia, central nervous system depression, coma, muscular weakness and/or paralysis, with difficulty breathing or respiratory failure.[4][1][19][20]

Last edited:
Way back when in the olden days tobacco was used to worm a variety of livestock. I used to use red devil lye to worm my hogs. Not any more...there are many safe tested chemical products on the market this day and time available to consumers. Additionally there's no more guess work regarding dosages and lengths of treatments. I am grateful for chemicals and will continue to use them in my birds. Time to move forward, not backwards.

Twenty-five years ago I was told it was okay to worm my horses with tobacco leaves, as we had them growing in our fields. Even I knew that was probably not a good idea, even though it had worked for my friend's grandad, so I gave them a proper tested recommended horse wormer. Now that I have chickens who are susceptible to harsh chemicals, I would never dream of giving them tobacco, when I can buy a $7 tube of SafeGuard equine paste and do the job. If one can't afford that they probably should just skip the worming. Since this is a public forum that many new chicken owners read for info, we should be responsible about recommending outdated ways of treating out pets and livestock.

Back in the day if you were really sick and near death, they bled you. Now there's a real safe method to fix you when you were sick.
smile.png
They also used to de louse people with kerosene as shampoo. Now that worked real well! They should still do that.

Back
Top Bottom