how to nourish hen w/ impacted crop

If you decide the crop is getting liquidy you can try to throw her up. I would suggest watching some youtube videos of people doing this before you try it. You need to be sure that they don't aspirate the fluid. Also, when you massage you should be holding the hen with your left hand/arm and using your right hand between your thumb and first finger in the downward direction is where the crop should be. Always pushing downward away from the mouth. You can massage pretty vigorously this way without the hen getting fluid up into their esophagus.

I am massaging her now and She is lifting her head up and opening her mouth really wide and closing her eyes. I suppose she is trying to get air. she did that this morning too. I had been massaging from the bottom to the top because that’s what I read somewhere. But now I am massaging from the top to the bottom. Alternating olive oil and water with a syringe a couple of drops at a time. Please let me know if there something else I should be doing. Thank you.

See how she does after this massage. When they stretch their necks it is because food and fluid is coming up and they are trying to keep it down.

I found a great video on youtube
"How to clear an impacted crop". They use a chicken that isn't impacted so they don't get her to throw up, but they go through all the steps.

See how she does after this massage. When they stretch their necks it is because food and fluid is coming up and they are trying to keep it down.

I found a great video on youtube
"How to clear an impacted crop". They use a chicken that isn't impacted so they don't get her to throw up, but they go through all the steps.

yes, that’s the one I watched this morning! Very informative. her crop is getting looser. I took away their food and put them up for the night. I will post again tomorrow. Thank you.

this morning there is no change from last nite. she doesn't appear to have digested any of the contents of her crop overnight. i massaged, oiled and watered her this morning and she is very sour. some liquid came out when i tried to throw her up, but no food. she is with the rest of the girls now, scratching, if not just sitting, in the yard. i have not seen her drink any kefir today. i have seen her poop tho. should i give her an anti fungal now, even tho her crop hasn't emptied? if so, how much monistat and how do i administer? thank you.

I’m new to chickens and would appreciate some info on impacted crops. One of my bantams has an egg sized lump on her right front above the leg. It is palatable and fairly hard but moves within the skin. Is this impacted crop?

I’m new to chickens and would appreciate some info on impacted crops. One of my bantams has an egg sized lump on her right front above the leg. It is palatable and fairly hard but moves within the skin. Is this impacted crop?
To determine if this is an impacted crop or simply a full crop (they fill their crops, often to the point of considerable bulge, a few times a day and then digest the feed from the crop....and repeat), check the bird at the time it goes to roost, remove access to feed and then check the crop in the morning. A normal crop will have emptied overnight....an impacted crop will remain as full as it was the night before

this morning there is no change from last nite. she doesn't appear to have digested any of the contents of her crop overnight. i massaged, oiled and watered her this morning and she is very sour. some liquid came out when i tried to throw her up, but no food. she is with the rest of the girls now, scratching, if not just sitting, in the yard. i have not seen her drink any kefir today. i have seen her poop tho. should i give her an anti fungal now, even tho her crop hasn't emptied? if so, how much monistat and how do i administer? thank you.

bump.

If she is sour and you think the contents are liquid enough for her to throw it up you should try again to throw her up. You might have to add some water to her crop like they do in the video. Your are going to have to turn her upside down 3-4 times and massage her crop firmly to get her to throw up. Just be sure to tip her up between so she can get some air and sneeze a little. If the lump is still hard you can continue with the oil and massage and give her the Monistat to stop the fermentation, but the Monistat treatment will work better if her crop is emptied. I buy Monistat 3 and cut the suppositories up into thirds and feed her one third in the morning and one third in the evening until all 9 pieces are gone. Just shove it down her throat.

Back
Top Bottom