Pics
That gives you roughly enough space for 6 chickens. I think you have enough roost space.

Folly made a good suggestion on making the existing vents better.

If at all possible making the other narrow end open too will give much better access.

What breed(s) of birds are you getting?

Yep if you’re going by the 4 sq ft/hen rule it would be 7 (because the boxes add 5sq ft, it’s 29 total).

I’m going to get 8 chicks I think, to account for accidental roosters or chick loss. I’m going to get a crazy mix. Wyandotte, Maran, Swedish Flower Hen, Basque Hen, Olive Egger, Cream legbar, Rhodebar...those are just some of the options I’m picking from. I’m going to pick them in person tho. Def want a Maran and Wyandotte for sure.

Yep if you’re going by the 4 sq ft/hen rule it would be 7 (because the boxes add 5sq ft, it’s 29 total).

I’m going to get 8 chicks I think, to account for accidental roosters or chick loss. I’m going to get a crazy mix. Wyandotte, Maran, Swedish Flower Hen, Basque Hen, Olive Egger, Cream legbar, Rhodebar...those are just some of the options I’m picking from. I’m going to pick them in person tho. Def want a Maran and Wyandotte for sure.

Nest box space does not count toward total square footage. They cannot walk around in there freely so it really does not count.
If you keep feed and water inside the coop the space they take up should be subtracted as well.

Nest box space does not count toward total square footage. They cannot walk around in there freely so it really does not count.
If you keep feed and water inside the coop the space they take up should be subtracted as well.
:goodpost:
Coop floor space should be clear of nests, food, water, and anything else to count in the 4sqft/bird. If they can't move freely they get testy snd begin picking on each other, which can become violent and damaging.

Ah ok! I have so much to learn! So do you think I would be ok with 7 if the run is 100sq ft? That’s well over the 10sq ft run space per chicken... they will only be in the coop at night. Does that sort of make up for it in the coop or is that not how it works?

I’m scared I’ll get back luck with sexing and end up with a bunch of roosters or lose some baby chicks (hopefully not). I just want 6 chickens in the end so I’m trying to figure out if it’s bad to get the 2 extra chicks (8 total) to account for that.

Ah ok! I have so much to learn! So do you think I would be ok with 7 if the run is 100sq ft? That’s well over the 10sq ft run space per chicken... they will only be in the coop at night. Does that sort of make up for it in the coop or is that not how it works?

I’m scared I’ll get back luck with sexing and end up with a bunch of roosters or lose some baby chicks (hopefully not). I just want 6 chickens in the end so I’m trying to figure out if it’s bad to get the 2 extra chicks (8 total) to account for that.

The big run helps.....in good weather.

When it is cold, snowy, windy, or wet out mine spend a large amount of time inside. There have been stretches of bad weather that none of my birds ventured out for days on end. Their choice as I still opened the pop doors.

Not sure where you are getting your birds from....but....northern Colorado feeders supply in fort Collins has chicks year round....sexed chicks with a "we will take back roosters" guarantee. Breed selection may be a bit limited this time of year but they will special order what you want If those breeds are available.
Just something to know in advance.

I gather this is your first time with chickens?

I really recommend not getting a male until you learn a ton more about chickens....and the potential issues with keeping a male with young children around.

I would stick to 6 and just docile breed females.

The big run helps.....in good weather.

When it is cold, snowy, windy, or wet out mine spend a large amount of time inside. There have been stretches of bad weather that none of my birds ventured out for days on end. Their choice as I still opened the pop doors.

Not sure where you are getting your birds from....but....northern Colorado feeders supply in fort Collins has chicks year round....sexed chicks with a "we will take back roosters" guarantee. Breed selection may be a bit limited this time of year but they will special order what you want If those breeds are available.
Just something to know in advance.

I gather this is your first time with chickens?

I really recommend not getting a male until you learn a ton more about chickens....and the potential issues with keeping a male with young children around.

I would stick to 6 and just docile breed females.

Yep I definitely don’t want a male! And yes first time with chickens, aside from them being around as a kid. I was never responsible for them, so I don’t remember much!
I’m getting them from a local place and they do have a rooster take back guarantee, and then will replace it with another chick, but I don’t really want to have to raise chicks again, right after raising this batch if that makes sense. I suppose I’ll have to if like 3 end up being roosters, but maybe I’ll just get 7. Then I have one for insurance since it’s a pretty safe bet that 1 will be a rooster out of 7 right?? Or is sexing more accurate than I’m imagining?

91457BF3-9964-4318-B00B-7BF4C3804910.jpeg
I was looking at the pic of the interior of the coop, picturing bigger windows where the holes are now, and I’m wondering, wouldn’t that be a lot of cold air blowing right on the hens roosting bars while they are trying to sleep??? Pic attached again.

Back
Top Bottom