Pics
Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
7D18C33E-A5F7-4E99-9D9D-5D0AF99A01EE.jpeg
4D29DFE1-CB68-442D-8D88-A03CB6BD2D25.jpeg
D6BD98D5-7330-4772-8022-3A6D731F5E81.jpeg
Hi there. New around here. Just moved to a 1.5 acre lot that has an existing coop that I’d like to fix up. Wwyd to predator-proof this? I’m in Colorado near Longmont, raccoons, foxes, birds of prey, maybe even a wandering bear.
The run just has normal chicken wire on it. Do I need to do a sturdier hardware cloth? What about hot wire?
Thanks in advance! Want to get ahead of this so it’s ready for spring.

Looks like an easy project. 1/2” hardware cloth everywhere there is chicken wire and buried along the sides and you’re good to go. I’d add better ventilation too.

Also, I’d add either an access door on the opposite side or double doors on the back for easy access. Maybe some exterior nest boxes to give the birds more room on the inside.

I edited my above post if you didn’t see it already.

Ventilation: You cut a square or rectangle hole in the wall and frame the hole on the inside of the coop. You sandwich hardware cloth between the frame and the wall. You then frame the cut out piece and the outside of the wall. Then the cut out piece attaches back to the hole with hinges. Here is a pic of one on a tractor I built.
31D9572B-7B83-4050-B039-E841B0FFEC68.jpeg

Not a bad unit to start with. I agree with supplementing the chicken wire with hardware cloth or welded wire, no wider than 1/2", and aproning it out which should work against most predators and pests. Hotwire if bears are an issue. I'd also give some thought to roofing it, which would then allow you to add plenty of ventilation on the wall facing the inside of the run, as the roof would provide protection.

Nice bit of existing coop to start with! I'm just north of you in Loveland. I'm rebuilding a coop now, putting a bit more ventilation at the top and covering part of my run with the clear plastic corrugated looking stuff...otherwise I end up with a wee little ice rink on the wet and then suddenly cold days. The hardware cloth replacing chicken wire and a buried apron should deter mosy predators. And good latches on the doors. Not much will thwart a bear. We're having quite a few bear visitors coming down as well.

Thank you all! So current plan - add roofing to the run and add a window for ventilation on that front side so it’ll be protected from the elements by the new roof. Then add 1/2” hardware cloth all over the exterior of run (including under the roofing) and burry it down in the ground or do an apron. Reinforce or replace latches.

How much would you pay someone to do all that for you? I have someone quoting me $25 an hour and 15 hours work. Does that seem right? I’m about to sit down and calculate material costs to see if I can afford to swing this. I have a wild 2 year old and no help so it’s not something I can take on alone.
Also, does the hardware cloth need to be plastic coated? I read somewhere that’s better. Is that the case? Thanks all!

Yep, I’d provide the materials. I’m about to go start pricing stuff but I don’t totally know what I need so figuring that out at the moment

I am in Loveland as well.

I assume you have limited or no tools.

Roofing your run will be more involved and expensive than adding awning windows. The roof will need a slope so snow does not build up.

If you are on the west side I would consider the hot wire. On the east side?...few bears ever make it that far.

We could literally walk you through how to do what is needed. Tools would run under $200. Materials...well that will vary.
Gaining the ability to do things yourself....well that is priceless.

Looks like an easy project. 1/2” hardware cloth everywhere there is chicken wire and buried along the sides and you’re good to go. I’d add better ventilation too.

Also, I’d add either an access door on the opposite side or double doors on the back for easy access. Maybe some exterior nest boxes to give the birds more room on the inside.

Oh also, there are 2 nesting boxes on the back! They stick out a foot and are each 2.5’ wide and open from the top.

Nice bit of existing coop to start with! I'm just north of you in Loveland. I'm rebuilding a coop now, putting a bit more ventilation at the top and covering part of my run with the clear plastic corrugated looking stuff...otherwise I end up with a wee little ice rink on the wet and then suddenly cold days. The hardware cloth replacing chicken wire and a buried apron should deter mosy predators. And good latches on the doors. Not much will thwart a bear. We're having quite a few bear visitors coming down as well.

Hello fellow Coloradan! Do you think adding hot wire is worth it to deter bears?
I’ll have to look into adding better ventilation as well. Replacing all the latches is a good idea.

Lucky you! Good move.
If I were you, I'd cover the whole thing with 1/2 hardware cloth sides and top and then add metal sheets to cover the entire top. This would allow you to put waterers and feeders in the run area during the day. And of course for diggers, the buried hardware cloth all around or an apron. Looks like an fun and easy project.

PS. You don't need to remove the chicken wire. Just put the hardware cloth over it. The chicken wire doesn't hurt anything. It just doesn't help much. Also, clean out the brush inside, maybe buy an inexpensive tarp, and pop the two year old with plenty of toys and cookies INSIDE while mom works on the outside. In addition, after looking at the pictures closely, it looks like a really well-built Coop and run. It appears the frame is set on concrete. How deep into the ground does the concrete go? And check. With the quality work done on this Coop the original owner MAY have already installed an apron around it. Dig down a couple inches around the outside and see if you find wire.

Back
Top Bottom