How to predator safe a coop

Fuchsia

Anna
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2020
NY
the wire burying folks are talking about is called a "predator apron" if you want to google for some tutorials and a better explanation - in short you're laying hardware cloth horizontally all the way around the run/coop so that animals that like to dig will hit the wire and be deterred. They might work their way down the fence in either direction but they never think "I should back up 2 feet and try again"

You may also need to cover the top of the run with hardware cloth as well as a lot of predators are good climbers, and it will ultimately keep them safe from aerial attacks as well.

For the coop, all windows and vents should be covered securely with hardware cloth as well. Do periodic checks for large gaps, cracks, loose boards or doors that dont stay secure, etc.
Thank you! Very good information!

ConnieA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2015
"....you're laying hardware cloth horizontally all the way around the run/coop so that animals that like to dig will hit the wire and be deterred. They might work their way down the fence in either direction but they never think "I should back up 2 feet and try again"...

So true! I learned this from the Saint Louis Zoo folks, and I have made aprons or "complete cages" (wire on all sides, including the bottom) ever since with safe results. (A "complete cage" lets you move the cage to a new location. Every fall I move a few cages, and over the winter the stuff that fell through the bottom of the cage ages into good compost.)

KaleIAm

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 13, 2015
Carnation, Wa
"....you're laying hardware cloth horizontally all the way around the run/coop so that animals that like to dig will hit the wire and be deterred. They might work their way down the fence in either direction but they never think "I should back up 2 feet and try again"...

So true! I learned this from the Saint Louis Zoo folks, and I have made aprons or "complete cages" (wire on all sides, including the bottom) ever since with safe results. (A "complete cage" lets you move the cage to a new location. Every fall I move a few cages, and over the winter the stuff that fell through the bottom of the cage ages into good compost.)
If you put wire, like hardware cloth, on the bottom wouldn't it hurt duck feet? I want my ducks to be safe, but don't want to give them bumblefoot. I'm hoping the apron method will be sufficient.

LT71689

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Canada
If you put wire, like hardware cloth, on the bottom wouldn't it hurt duck feet? I want my ducks to be safe, but don't want to give them bumblefoot. I'm hoping the apron method will be sufficient.
If you make a wire floor, it can act like a tractor where you move it around the yard, the grass is able to stick through and soften the "floor". If you move it into a non-grassy area or they eventually kill all the grass you could toss down some straw or bedding or loose dirt.

A properly done apron should work just fine, the floor method just allows for movability

Schie

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
Seattle, WA
The inside of my coop and run are just regular ground (with deep deep wood chips/shavings). I put the hardware cloth (1/2" wire) on the ground outside, but I also buried it. So you can't see it and although it would definitely be possible for one of the chickens to dig all the way down to it,.. so far I haven't had any problems.

Top Bottom