How to predator safe a coop

Being in Clearwater, you should not have Ermine! They are not listed on Florida's predator list. Please contact the Florida Wildlife office and report this as they need to know if another predator is showing up. I know you can have weasels, though most are in North Florida.

Being in Clearwater, you should not have Ermine! They are not listed on Florida's predator list. Please contact the Florida Wildlife office and report this as they need to know if another predator is showing up. I know you can have weasels, though most are in North Florida.
I thought OP was from NY ? :idunno

Please forgive my idiocy. My brain was not in gear. I thought you were in Florida.

Maybe a new thread post for all the newbies who would like to seal up their coop with Hardware cloth. :)
Sure! It's not as pretty as it used to be, and it's going rather slow. I'll gather up a few photos and try to post something this weekend. I'm not actually sure what the best way to go about it is, but I'm trying my best to research and do everything I can to protect my pet ducks.

Hello :frow
We have cameras out in our woods and around our barns and coops so we know if we have predators.
And today we got an ermine on one of the cameras! 😬 We had an ermine last year and it was horrible, taking/killing like four chickens every night!
So my question is, how do I predator safe my coop?
Thanks!
Anywhere there's not solid wood or roofing material my coop has 1/2" wire. Plus I dug out 3 feet from the outside walls and buried 1/2" wire. My goal was to beat the rats! I WON! Maybe something similar would work for you?

the wire burying folks are talking about is called a "predator apron" if you want to google for some tutorials and a better explanation - in short you're laying hardware cloth horizontally all the way around the run/coop so that animals that like to dig will hit the wire and be deterred. They might work their way down the fence in either direction but they never think "I should back up 2 feet and try again"

You may also need to cover the top of the run with hardware cloth as well as a lot of predators are good climbers, and it will ultimately keep them safe from aerial attacks as well.

For the coop, all windows and vents should be covered securely with hardware cloth as well. Do periodic checks for large gaps, cracks, loose boards or doors that dont stay secure, etc.

Back
Top Bottom