How to Prepare Your Flock For Winter 101 *Official Thread*

I am thinking about starting in the Spring. I live in Eastern TN and I really do not know much about any of this but we want to start. I will have to build a house and run. Is there any rules on what kind of Chickens for the area and how many hens per roosters. I have so much to learn. I welcome any suggestions. I was thinking about maybe 5/6 hens. I suppose 1 rooster. Is that correct? I am willing for any and all suggestion........Oh yes how bid should their house and run be too?
hmm.png
hmm.png

Rather than have us repeat everything here, you should read up on the "stickies" in the Coop section, etc. Especially on the home page you will find all kinds of basic info on raising chickens! Have fun and try not to die of anticipation!!!
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif

I saw an innovative way to keep the water in the coop fluid. This fellow ran an extension cord to a light bulb socket and tucked it into 12" high concrete block. He installed a tin flashing cover over the block to keep water from dribbling in and set the water container on top. The wattage was not high and there was no light visible - which is good for resting chickens - but it created a little block of radiating heat. Perhaps the girls will enjoy their time around the "water cooler" when its warm?

Thanks for the seed info. First, I'll look in the feedstore since I'm there so much. Nobody has ideas about how to keep rain from coming in the sides of the run?

Quote:
I'm also in Nova Scotia, and deep litter is the way I'll go with my girls this winter. Both gable ends of the 4x7' coop have vents, and the soffits are all vented. That's it. I may need to bring out warm water throughout the day in the coldest part of January, but the coop is on the way to the driveway, so it isn't out of the way for anyone travelling in or out.

We put a heater element in our water dishes for our girls and guy. It works great and we never have to worry about them being without water. You can purchase it at Tractor Supply relatively cheap. There are different sizes and shapes depending on your needs.

tcs has the best BOSS price so far- 15$/40 Lb bag.... the seeds are viable too and will sprout if your chickens dont eat them! i have about 3000 little sunflower seedlings all over my yard LOL. my chickens will find them though. mmm.

i'm gonna buy a bag of BOSS next spring JUST to plant them!
big_smile.png

edited to say: to those wondering, the chickens eat the shell and all.

Last edited:
Well, this will be our chickens second winter. Last year it was the worst one since living in this state. I free range my chickens and yes they were out every day even with snow on the ground. There are pics in thier blog in my sig. It also shows the coop which I closed windows but not under roof where it is open. I put in hay with wood chips about 6 to 8 inches. We had no frost bite and hens layed right thru winter. Water was kept in coop to keep it warm and was replaced daily, no heat lamp. For feed they got scratch with layer and what they found outside.

Venaltion is so important in winter for cold weather is wet with umidity and that causesfrostbite on comes and feet. Remember there are much smaller birds living in the wild in your area and they do not live in coops. Sealing a coop up tight is the worst thing you can do for your chickens in winter. They have enough feathers to keep warm if they have enough bedding and coop is draft free. Draft free means you can not feel wind blowing into coop. If you look at the pics of mine you will see the whole area uder the roof is open on all sides and big cracks around the door. Our temps hit just below 0 some night and we never had a problem with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom