How to Prepare Your Flock For Winter 101 *Official Thread*

Quote:
What a Super idea! I might try that for my girls too! Our lowest temps run around 30 and rarely for more than 5 or 6 days. That should work great here. Thanks for sharing!
ya.gif

BYC is like College for chicken owners.
Bunny
bun.gif

I felt so bad the other day when it was pouring out and all my girls were standing under the coop, huddled together with their little tootsies under water. Well, one was smart enough to be hiding IN the coop, but the rest were standing in "chicken-ankle" deep water. It's not like they're in a divet or a low spot- I think the ground was just so saturated from a week of heavy rain! That can't be good, but what can you do about it? I made them some hot oatmeal and they gobbled it up. Anything else? And what happens when thats snow? Should you shovel it out? We don't usually get a lot of snow here but once last year we did get a couple of feet. Should I cover part of the run with a tarp to keep the snow and rain out of at least one area?
hmm.png

Trevi...if you're talking of using a tarp to block snow - not a good idea due to the weight of the snow. I do use one to help with rain, but I've punched several strategically placed holes in it so pooling doesn't occur. Next spring, I'd work on drainage around your run. But you can always place some blocks, stumps, etc. in there for them now. Maybe next year you could try gravel w/several inches of sand on top???
And yes, if you want them to come outside, you'll probably need to shovel when it snows. Mine wouldn't touch more than a half inch or so last winter, so I shoveled a lot...big clearings, paths, etc. I figured it was my winter time exercise. I swore I was going to roof part of my run this year, but it hasn't happened.
hmm.png

My winter time routine is: windows closed (pop door always open during daytime hours though), claypot water heater for inside waterer, rubber water bowls outside changed out 2x a day w/warm water, extra scratch, heat lamp near roosts (hung from chain w/backup wire) for severe cold, and thicker bedding. I put tarps around the prevailing wind sides of my run, and add a windblock in front of the pop door.

This will be our first winter with our flock. I live in Cedar Park, TX close to Austin, so no where near the cold snaps as other places. I will definitely try the warm oatmeal in mornings maybe even have a bowl myself, and look around for scratch blocks.
wink.png

Quote:
nohnogoose: Where do you get the water heaters?

Darkmatter: I really dig your set-up. Mulberry trees are perfect! I have some, but will plant one in the run.

I have a 80 yr old barn. 1/4 of it is coop. 30x 15 approx. It's missing alot of the thin strips that go between the boards. I've had to screw in blandex strips until I can afford to repair it. I will work on plugging these, but maybe leaving some uncovered towards the top for ventillation. I need to add windows!

We have a local farm supply store where I get the heated waterers and the flat water pan that you sit a metal waterer on.

This thread has been so helpful! Thanks. I have a 4x6 coop with 10 chickens in it, its not insulated though. I plan on covering the windows with plexi-glass and maybe covering part of their vent above the roost. My silkies and 1 banty cochin all sleep in the nest box right next to the pop door. Should I start closing that at night? Do you think they will be warm enough or should I insulate it? We live in Idaho and get some pretty cold winters with a lot of snow. My run is covered but I plan on putting a tarp on the 2 windy sides. I havn't decided what to do about their water yet. My coop doesn't have electricity. I could probably get an extention cord if I had to but are there any ways to keep their water thawed without having electricity? I also plan on giving them oatmeal, any other warm stuff I could give them? Sorry for all the questions, Im still a newbie. Thanks
smile.png

My two hen houses are not insulated. I live in Virginia, but it can get pretty cold here. One of the houses is a small converted run in shed. It now has been closed in with a window, a small door and a large door. I keep it bedded pretty thick with shavings and straw and it's suprisingly warm in there. The other is in a metal shed with a wood floor. I keep that one well bedded as well. It has windows, a small door for the chickens and one for me. I close up the windows with plexi glass in the winter. I run extension cords out there so I can have lights. I haven't tried the heated waterers yet. I end up making 3 or 4 trips a day to give them fresh water. I did find that if I could bank buckets with straw they tended to stay thawed out longer. The only problem is that they would get the straw in the water. I'm hesitant to use the heated waterers though. I don't have a way of doing an automatic waterer, and I'm concerned that if it ran out of water that it could cause a fire.

Back
Top Bottom