How to prevent chickens water from freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jerseychicken, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jerseychicken

jerseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    New Jersey
    I thought I read somewhere on this forum that that I can add vinegar to my coop water and it wont freeze. I woke up this morning to a thin layer of ice on the water.
    Any suggestions?
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I don't know about the vinegar in the water. Ive never tried adding anything . This year I have so many waterers that are going to freeze during the cold months. I woke up this morning to 8 waterers frozen solid, ugh! I decided this year I need to try something instead of just chiseling ice away. So today we are making cookie tin water heaters. Another BYC member had posted a link to them and we are going to give it a try. Here is the link and Ill let you know how well it works for us.
  3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Vinegar does not keep water from freezing it is good for the chickens to drink, I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples in it and a bird bath deicer in it and it keeps the water from freezing it has a thermostat built in to it so it only runs when needed. The vinegar must be apple cider vinegar with "mothers"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by