1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How To Prevent Frostbite?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Allie Grace Sanders, Dec 3, 2017.

1. biodarwin

biodarwin In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2017
    Panhandle of Nebraska
    Don't use petroluem jelly. This does nothing at all to prevent frost bite and will even make it worse.

black_dove2 and greggooo like this.
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 7 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I don't put anything on comb or wattles, and was just repeating what has been mentioned here.:oops: Mary

jeepgrrl and chickens really like this.
  3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Songster

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Why not and how?

black_dove2 likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Me either...lol..

black_dove2 likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed with BJ. In the coldest weather, and sometimes not even the coldest, there will be the occasional frost bite on the tips. i simply leave it alone, and it heals on it's own. Keep your coop well ventilated. That's the best thing you can do. If the birds roost too close to a wall or ceiling, the risk of frost bite increases much more. I am also breeding my flock for small combs to better match my climate.

I find myself wondering if the vaseline treatment is fact or myth.

6. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Ok, thanks for all the advice!

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Another is too keep the manure pile out of the coop. When my birds have been bitten, is when the poop has been frozen solid, then warm daytime temperatures, then hard cold freeze at night.

Dry bedding is important. Sprinkle scratch on top of your bedding and the birds will flip the bedding, and break up the globs keeping everything dryer if the bedding is deep enough. Deep dry bedding helps absorb moisture and keep it away from birds along with good ventilation.

Mrs K

black_dove2 and Bogtown Chick like this.
  8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
  9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Crowing 6 Years

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I tried vaseline for a winter that had -20 F almost every day my first year of chickening. It did not do the trick in that weather and I don't know if it will help with 18 so much. A lot depends on how huge that comb and wattles really are, Allie. Also how close their roost is to the ceiling. If it's close you might want to lower that roost so that breathing moisture goes up and away from condensation points. Most roosters cannot tuck their heads or won't. You could try bag balm. I think it's waxier and a bit more durable and seems to repel moisture more so than the vaseline...but eventually that wears off too.

In preparation of the colder weather get all the poo out of the coop. Deep Litter isn't going to be working much in 18F. Sorry to say. All it does is harbor moisture which is a frigid weather no-no. Nice dry pine shavings to prepare for the cold. If you don't have much ventilation in your roof peaks or high spots get some drilled in or crack a window but keeping drafts away from the birds.

Unless they are an exotic Jungle Fowl you do not need to heat a coop for 18 degree weather. Your birds will do fine with that temp.
    If you find you need to heat your coop for say 0 or below consider a flat panel heater. Do not let your hobby go up in flames for a $7 heat lamp. The Flat panels are about $40. But well worth the peace of mind.

Do not feed moistened feed. Especially the warm oatmeal that bloggers and chicken lovers on the internet tout. It is going to cling to the wattles and/or steam them with moisture and for sure give frost bite. dry feed in those temps only. The only thing wet should be their water in the fount. Preferably located in the run.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 7 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Also, be very careful about the type of waterers you have out there. You don't want your birds standing in a dish, or dipping wattles in the water. I think that dog water bowls could be a real problem in very cold weather for that reason.
    Anyone have experiences with them?
    Mary

black_dove2 and EggSighted4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: