How To Prevent Frostbite?

Depending on your climate, your rooster may get frostbite on his large comb no matter what you do. It happens and he'll be fine. I've had severa "winter dubbed" roosters that had no issues afterward. I have also moved on to roosters with smaller combs and wattles to avoid that problem.

Agreed with BJ. In the coldest weather, and sometimes not even the coldest, there will be the occasional frost bite on the tips. i simply leave it alone, and it heals on it's own. Keep your coop well ventilated. That's the best thing you can do. If the birds roost too close to a wall or ceiling, the risk of frost bite increases much more. I am also breeding my flock for small combs to better match my climate.

I find myself wondering if the vaseline treatment is fact or myth.

Another is too keep the manure pile out of the coop. When my birds have been bitten, is when the poop has been frozen solid, then warm daytime temperatures, then hard cold freeze at night.

Dry bedding is important. Sprinkle scratch on top of your bedding and the birds will flip the bedding, and break up the globs keeping everything dryer if the bedding is deep enough. Deep dry bedding helps absorb moisture and keep it away from birds along with good ventilation.

Mrs K

I tried vaseline for a winter that had -20 F almost every day my first year of chickening. It did not do the trick in that weather and I don't know if it will help with 18 so much. A lot depends on how huge that comb and wattles really are, Allie. Also how close their roost is to the ceiling. If it's close you might want to lower that roost so that breathing moisture goes up and away from condensation points. Most roosters cannot tuck their heads or won't. You could try bag balm. I think it's waxier and a bit more durable and seems to repel moisture more so than the vaseline...but eventually that wears off too.

In preparation of the colder weather get all the poo out of the coop. Deep Litter isn't going to be working much in 18F. Sorry to say. All it does is harbor moisture which is a frigid weather no-no. Nice dry pine shavings to prepare for the cold. If you don't have much ventilation in your roof peaks or high spots get some drilled in or crack a window but keeping drafts away from the birds.

Unless they are an exotic Jungle Fowl you do not need to heat a coop for 18 degree weather. Your birds will do fine with that temp.
If you find you need to heat your coop for say 0 or below consider a flat panel heater. Do not let your hobby go up in flames for a $7 heat lamp. The Flat panels are about $40. But well worth the peace of mind.

Do not feed moistened feed. Especially the warm oatmeal that bloggers and chicken lovers on the internet tout. It is going to cling to the wattles and/or steam them with moisture and for sure give frost bite. dry feed in those temps only. The only thing wet should be their water in the fount. Preferably located in the run.

Back
Top Bottom