How to prevent frostbite?

emma p

Songster
7 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Kansas
Hello so it has been really cold were I am. And I was just wanting to know if anyone had done anything that could prevent frostbite? I read that you can use Petroleum Jelly and put it on there comb. Just wandering if anyone has done this :)
Thank you!

show me some adequate one:D
Here's a pic of some adequate ventilation for winter. Insufficient fresh air flow/ventilation in the winter, is one of the biggest contributors to frostbite. I have BRs, and they have some good sized combs, and none of them, have ever suffered from frostbite.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Make sure your coop is ventilated. Moist air plus cold temps equal frostbite. Coop humidity should be under 60%. I leave the pop door open and have a roof vent...a vent near the bottom and top of the coop will draw out the moist air from the chickens breathing and droppings at night. This is very important for preventing frostbite. Good luck!

I believe MeepBeep keeps their flock in a building heated to about 40F......which, IMO, is the only sure fire way to avoid frostbite.

Yep, by coop is heated been holding about 37° all year, thus far... The only 100% preventative to frostbite is to avoid exposure to freezing temperatures, this is a cold hard fact...

aart: heating a coop above the point of freezing is not an option in most northern environments.

I guess that is all relative, I'm considered 'northern' as far as winter weather goes in the US being on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, and I heat a 1200sq/ft coop all winter... All in all my propane bill is about $60 a month give or take, but with that the birds eat less, they lay eggs more consistently, I don't have other things like heated water buckets or what not, in the end most of the $60 is washed, making the cost nominal at best... And in the end for me spending $60/month and not having to worry one bit about frostbite is worth every penny and then some...

it has also been said many times that once birds (and their plumage) are acclimatized to such balmy temperatures and in case of a power outage, you better don't mind moving your flock into the living room and serving them hot cocoa... ;-))

Just because people repeat something over and over doesn't make it fact, and this is a perfect example of such... Sure there is some fact in it, but it's mostly exaggeration...

My heated coop at 35°-37° is not balmy, and thus my birds are actually pretty acclimated to the cold, but in the same breath I have 100% frostbite prevention, in fact I'll bet my coop is no warmer then many smaller coops with a high density of birds in them, seriously have you taken temps of small coops with lots of birds in it, I'l bet in many cases it's as warm if not warmer then my coop...

As for the every famous and often repeated 'OMG, what if there is a power outage' scare... Lets put this in a realistic context, and not the hyperbole based 'what if' end of the world context.. Power outages of any significant duration are extremely rare in my area, even more rare in the winter, in fact I don't even recall the last time the power went out for more then a few minutes... I know it hasn't happened in the last 15 years (for me personally) since I have never had to actually use my backup generator that is now going on 15 years old... Now sure it can happen, and that is why I have a generator on stand by, because if the power goes out not only does my coop lose power and heat so does my house! And if you live in an area where power outages are frequent, then obviously the risk is higher, but from experience most people that live in such areas know and are prepared with backup generators...

Also lets look at the way outside weather is, there are natural temperature ups and downs as well, it's not uncommon in say November in my area for the temps to be steady in the 30s and 40s and then all the sudden drop in a blink one day, realistically and honestly this is a near parallel to what might happen if the power went out temporarily, and since the birds were only 'acclimated' to the 30s/40s in both instances, it's really nearly an identical scenario if you are weighing in on the acclimation leg...

As for 'birds' can handle it, well lets be blunt, if they can handle the cold why worry or do anything to try and prevent frostbite in the first place? Doesn't the fact that some birds risk or get frostbite indicate that maybe those particular birds can't handle it? The reality is 'some' birds can handle handle the cold weather others can't, this is why many bird species migrate for the winter, not only to seek better food and open water but to avoid the risk of exposure...

Hi there,

Sorry about your chickens. We always put Vaseline on our hens combs and wattles. I know it sounds disgusting, but you have to rub on well. Ours had been getting frostbite, but since we applied it, they seem to be doing better. Hope this helps!!

I have used "Bag Balm" available in farm stores. It is like Vaseline in constiancy but also has healing property's. The idea is to put a moisture barrier between the skin of the comb and the moist air so that the comb doesn't freeze. Roosters with large combs don't tuck their heds under their wings at night like the hens with smaller combs do.

Last edited:
I put petroleum jelly on mine and they DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT but I got the job done. I even went out at night after they were asleep like folks said to do but they sure woke up - fast. We've had several nights and days in the low teens and they are fine so it was certainly worth it.

Back
Top Bottom