How to price a young Tom

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
At the farmer's market this morning, I was asked if I'd consider selling one of my Narragansett turkey toms to a farm. Apparently, they just want a tom to cover their turkey hens. They have several heritage breeds, but no Narris.

I have no problem letting go of one of our toms. We have seven, so selling one now is no problem.

How should I arrive at a price, if I sell them a turkey next week? They'll be 12 weeks old next weekend.

I've seen them go for different prices.
I've seen a 10 week old bird go for $10, of course it was straight run though.

I've seen 8 week old birds go for about 8-10$, straight run.

I'd have to say, anywhere from $15-20 would possibly be sufficient?

Of course I live in hick-town, and nothing over here is quite that expensive, except gas... but that would be what I would sell him for.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll probably just trade him for produce from this farm, but I need to put some kind of a value on him. I may ask for one CSA basket in exchange, which would be pushing my luck, but the worst they can do is say no, right?
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, wish me luck. One normal CSA basket from these folks comes in a bushel basket, and costs $60. Maybe they'll do me a more modest version? Or, if I could find out what they're harvesting right now, maybe I could just get a bushel of green beans or potatoes, or something.

Quote:
Yeah, wish me luck. One normal CSA basket from these folks comes in a bushel basket, and costs $60. Maybe they'll do me a more modest version? Or, if I could find out what they're harvesting right now, maybe I could just get a bushel of green beans or potatoes, or something.

Yeah, our local CSA is a little pricey too but I'm sure it'll be well worth it.
big_smile.png
It doesn't hurt to ask.

Well I've been selling my heritage breed turkeys for $45.00 & they are almost 6 months old. You have to figure the poult cost around $12.00 for a small order, that's a day old. Then feed them for 2 months and that cost goes up more. You may have hatched yours, but that doesn't make it worth any less. I've had no trouble selling mine, a few people talked me down a few dollars if they bought a pair or a trio, but they were still $37.50.

Thanks for the input. It's getting harder to find Narris this time of year, I've noticed. I just emailed the people, and went ahead and asked for a trade in food, or adding another CSA basket onto my subscription (it runs out in Dec. as of right now). I noticed that they "pay" the people who volunteer to put the baskets together in food, so hopefully it'll go over well.

WOW msitework, I wish I could get people to buy my turkeys for $45.

I'm lucky to get $15 on a 12 week old.

I got $30 for an almost year old hen.

Back
Top Bottom