How to price a young Tom

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    At the farmer's market this morning, I was asked if I'd consider selling one of my Narragansett turkey toms to a farm. Apparently, they just want a tom to cover their turkey hens. They have several heritage breeds, but no Narris.

I have no problem letting go of one of our toms. We have seven, so selling one now is no problem.

How should I arrive at a price, if I sell them a turkey next week? They'll be 12 weeks old next weekend.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I've seen them go for different prices.
    I've seen a 10 week old bird go for $10, of course it was straight run though.

I've seen 8 week old birds go for about 8-10$, straight run.

I'd have to say, anywhere from $15-20 would possibly be sufficient?

Of course I live in hick-town, and nothing over here is quite that expensive, except gas... but that would be what I would sell him for.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm buying a jake off Hinkjc for $15 and he's 4 months old.

4. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the input, guys! I'll probably just trade him for produce from this farm, but I need to put some kind of a value on him. I may ask for one CSA basket in exchange, which would be pushing my luck, but the worst they can do is say no, right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    The CSA box sounds like a plan [​IMG]

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, wish me luck. One normal CSA basket from these folks comes in a bushel basket, and costs $60. Maybe they'll do me a more modest version? Or, if I could find out what they're harvesting right now, maybe I could just get a bushel of green beans or potatoes, or something.

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Yeah, wish me luck. One normal CSA basket from these folks comes in a bushel basket, and costs $60. Maybe they'll do me a more modest version? Or, if I could find out what they're harvesting right now, maybe I could just get a bushel of green beans or potatoes, or something.

Yeah, our local CSA is a little pricey too but I'm sure it'll be well worth it. [​IMG] It doesn't hurt to ask.

8. msitework

msitework Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Well I've been selling my heritage breed turkeys for $45.00 & they are almost 6 months old. You have to figure the poult cost around $12.00 for a small order, that's a day old. Then feed them for 2 months and that cost goes up more. You may have hatched yours, but that doesn't make it worth any less. I've had no trouble selling mine, a few people talked me down a few dollars if they bought a pair or a trio, but they were still $37.50.

9. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the input. It's getting harder to find Narris this time of year, I've noticed. I just emailed the people, and went ahead and asked for a trade in food, or adding another CSA basket onto my subscription (it runs out in Dec. as of right now). I noticed that they "pay" the people who volunteer to put the baskets together in food, so hopefully it'll go over well.

10. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    WOW msitework, I wish I could get people to buy my turkeys for $45.

I'm lucky to get $15 on a 12 week old.

I got $30 for an almost year old hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by