1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How to produce high quality eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephkyles, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Stephkyles

Stephkyles In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    I'm a newbie and I got my first egg today! I cracked it open expecting to see a beautiful orange yolk and to my disappointment- it was pale yellow.
    My girls have an open run with plenty of grass to graze on and I let them free Range often... I feed them non soy non gmo crumbles. I give them treats every now and then like watermelon. I read that if you give them the purina feed with high marigold extract that you will get orange eggs but my goal isn't to have them to have them. I want the most nutritious egg I can produce. So does anyone have any secrets that I don't already know?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Songster

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    It may be just because its a first egg. If they are free ranging and getting bugs, dirt, grass, etc they should be a nice orange color. Try cracking a store bought egg next to one of yours-I am betting you will see a huge difference in color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by