How to properly introduce a rooster to my 4 month old chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by meghannybarra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. meghannybarra

meghannybarra Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    I am getting a rooster to help with keeping my chickens safer and also to hatch chicks as well. What is the best way to introduce them. Can I just put him in the coop and keep him there for a day or two and then let them free range together???
    HELP!!!

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    I recommend keeping them separated with some chicken wire or similar so they can easily see and communicate with one another but no touching for the first few days to make sure no one gets injured as they attempt to integrate a new member. Its called PECKING order for a reason. Best Wishes.

3. meghannybarra

meghannybarra Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Great thanks!!! So I will close off a portion of the run. I think that will be my best option. What would you suggest as far as time line to let them free range together?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you offer him nighttime and/or weather shelter in the portion of run?
    A few days to a week of see don't touch introduction would be good.

Then let him out into the run, and to range, for the first time late in the day, say an hour or so before sunset.
    This will test the waters for a short time before they all want to go to roost,
    and you can be sure he will not go too far before he's compelled to find shelter for the night.
    He may go into the coop with the others, or he may go back to his own shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by