How to protect spring plants from chickens eating them?

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I finally got some flower bulbs planted in my yard last fall. 60 daffodil and 50 tulips. They are all in one area of the yard. Now, the main question...............how do I protect them from my chickens, ducks and guineas from eating them as they come up or eating the flowers if they get to bloom stage? I not only want to protect the plants but also worry if the plants/flowers could make the poultry sick from eating them. I don't want to loose any of my chickens, ducks, nor guineas.

Would love some help on how to save flowers and chickens, etc.

It may be possible to lay welded wire (say 1 X 2 inches) on the ground and allow the flowers to grow up through the mesh of the wire. I really doubt that your hens are going to keep these types of flowers eaten down to the nub, but the simple fact that the ground were the bulbs are planted has been disturbed is going to entice your chickens to dig up every bulb.

I finally got some flower bulbs planted in my yard last fall. 60 daffodil and 50 tulips. They are all in one area of the yard. Now, the main question...............how do I protect them from my chickens, ducks and guineas from eating them as they come up or eating the flowers if they get to bloom stage? I not only want to protect the plants but also worry if the plants/flowers could make the poultry sick from eating them. I don't want to loose any of my chickens, ducks, nor guineas.

Would love some help on how to save flowers and chickens, etc.
The squirrels and rabbits will likely get them first. Chickens are not exactly into flower bulbs, at least mine leave these alone. I cover my bulbs something clear and plastic like fast food soda pop cup, until they take off. To protect them from rabbits and squirrels, because my chickens leave these alone.

The squirrels and rabbits will likely get them first. Chickens are not exactly into flower bulbs, at least mine leave these alone. I cover my bulbs something clear and plastic like fast food soda pop cup, until they take off. To protect them from rabbits and squirrels, because my chickens leave these alone.
Yes I agree, I have lots of bulbs and I don’t think it’s the hens that munch them I think it’s more likely to be mice. I tend to overplant and extra deep.
I do have a protection method for my new plants.
Small single plants I use the top of a plastic bottle, they get fresh air and some rain
Larger areas chicken wire either around or on top depending on the area. Metal pegs to hold it in place
Alternatively I cover the ground near the stem/trunk with big rocks.
Good luck with your planting
Hugz

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom