How to put a dollar value on hens?

I'll second and third the suggestion to check the fine print.

For instance in my home state of Alabama a livestock owner has the absolute right to defend his stock. However, if you shoot the wrong dog you owe double the value so have the goods when you do.

I fully agree with the above, one has to review their specific laws that apply to them...
In my area there is no prerequisite or establishment of legal grounding required like calling animal control, filing a report or even notifying the owner of the dog before or even after I dispatch a dog seen by me injuring my livestock... Legal grounding in my area is fully established by me witnessing the event...
Where I am, you can kill the animal in the act, but once it has left your property you have to start an investigation, and animal control will put the dog down.

Having a paper trail is also useful to prove that the dog is actually a threat if it later attacks again and you kill it before it kills any birds.

Thanks for the replies! FWIW I live adjacent to Ellensburg, WA. In other words outside of the city limits although that is really moot as far as Washington State law is concerned. Our laws are very clear that predators may be shot when they are harassing livestock which specifically includes poultry. Once a dog attacks a chicken the dogs owner is required by law to keep the dog contained within his property and our state law clearly gives the farmer/ rancher license to kill the dog if it is caught at large.

I did not notify law enforcement because dogs killing chickens is a civil matter. There also is no duty for me to do so to enforce my rights in the future if I have to kill my neighbors dog.

FWIW I have a background in Law Enforcement and am good friends with many in law enforcement in my area. The county prosecutor is also a friend and his advice is to kill dogs attacking livestock. Some counties have a specific exemption for discharging a firearm in a "no shooting zone" or city limits for protecting livestock including poultry. It is wise to learn the laws of your local area and how those in charge of enforcing them do so.
So will you dispatch the dog?

Did you find out what the value of your chickens are?
Are they ayam cemani?

So will you dispatch the dog?

Did you find out what the value of your chickens are?
Are they ayam cemani?

I will shoot the dog if I find it on my property.

I will value my buffs at $30 each and the other two at $25 each. I have evidence that is conclusive enough for me that three of the four were killed on my property so I will charge him $85. The fourth although I am nearly sure was also killed on my property I have no evidence to support it and I have seen my chickens go into his yard through the fence.

No they were not ayam cemani.

i am going to play devils advocate here but if you were my neighbor and charged me that high(unless replacements cant be had for less), call any official, and shot my dog. you would have no chickens left, they would mysteriously disappear when the came into my yard stealing my "bird" food from my new feeder right next to the fence line

that said be calm and friendly if they are a crappy neighbor good luck and sss.

I will shoot the dog if I find it on my property.

I will value my buffs at $30 each and the other two at $25 each. I have evidence that is conclusive enough for me that three of the four were killed on my property so I will charge him $85. The fourth although I am nearly sure was also killed on my property I have no evidence to support it and I have seen my chickens go into his yard through the fence.

No they were not ayam cemani.
I agree that you should take care of the dog if comes on your property again. However, I strongly suggest you find a way to keep your birds in your yard and make the effort to run them back into your yard when you see them over there. (not saying you don't do that already) It's only fair. Also, if you ever made him mad and he sees your chickens in his yard, he could pull the old "Well, this chicken was in MY yard scratching around in MY flower beds and I whacked it over the head with a shovel a couple of times." This is more or less the same as his dog coming into your yard and screwing up your property, your chickens. Just don't give him the opportunity to do this.
smile.png

Yes my plan is to keep my chickens within their huge coop for the rest of the winter unless I am home. I'll also attach chicken wire to the fence between our properties.

@vbob99 thanks for taking the time to respond. I often view posts where folks play devils advocate as trolls but hey this is not my forum......... Hens that are great layers and also great brooders are nearly impossible to buy. My only option is to start over in the spring. with more chicks. Still there is no guarantee that I'll get two hens as good as the two buffs that were killed. The other two, well $25 is about the going rate for a layer in my area when folks sell them and pullets nearing laying age are worth about $20. I as a responsible dog owner fenced my yard to contain my dog. When he kept getting out while we were using the gate I put in a separate gate so that we have a double gated entrance. IMHO that is what good neighbors do. Before I had the fence up I had a 100' cable run that my dog was attached to. I live on nearly an acre, my neighbor has a full acre. The un fenced access to my property is a considerable way for his dog to go to get at my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom