How to put a door/gate with T posts?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I want to expand my run. To do that, I need to get permission from my parents. My plan to try to do this is to plan everything out, save up all the money needed, then pitch it to my parents. It is a possibility that they will allow me to get a 6x6 Omlet run, in which case, this question is irrelevant. However, it is more likely that they would pick a 6x4 space instead. My plan for this was to use T posts and hardware cloth to make the run, and welded wire or bird netting to roof it. However, the one problem is a door. I'm not sure how to make a proper door or what to get for a door to this space. It would need a door, instead of just going through the existing run, because I would use it as the space for doing see but don't touch for the integration of three bantam pullets. The layout is as follows:
1613848304134.png

I would be removing the hardware cloth from the side of the existing run that would connect to the new run.

I had this same quandary last year and I found that Wedge-Loc sells hinges that fit onto T-Posts. (About halfway down the page here) I used them to attach a chain link gate that I covered with chicken wire, but you could attach hardware cloth instead.
Thank you! How did you attach the chicken wire?

I just used baling wire to tie it on. I was fencing in rabbits, otherwise I probably would have used plastic zip ties.

I also had to cut the chicken wire bigger than the gate so it would cover the area between the post and the gate. On the hinge side I tied it to the post and the gate. On the latch side I just made sure it overlapped the post.

It would need a door, instead of just going through the existing run, because I would use it as the space for doing see but don't touch for the integration of three bantam pullets.
I agree you need some kind of a door, but you could put it between the existing run and the new part (so you walk through the old run to get to the new one each day.)

I don't know what structure your existing run has, but that might give you more options for how to construct it. And you don't need to worry about predator-proofing any gaps around the door if it's between two sections of run.

A door between the two runs could be very handy. You could keep it closed at first, open it to allow the two groups to mingle, close it if you need to separate them again, leave it open all the time after they are integrated, and so forth. You might even be able to fasten the door open just a little bit, to let the little ones have a safe space (new run) with the option of mingling with the older birds (old run).

I agree you need some kind of a door, but you could put it between the existing run and the new part (so you walk through the old run to get to the new one each day.)

I don't know what structure your existing run has, but that might give you more options for how to construct it. And you don't need to worry about predator-proofing any gaps around the door if it's between two sections of run.

A door between the two runs could be very handy. You could keep it closed at first, open it to allow the two groups to mingle, close it if you need to separate them again, leave it open all the time after they are integrated, and so forth. You might even be able to fasten the door open just a little bit, to let the little ones have a safe space (new run) with the option of mingling with the older birds (old run).
Smart. Here's the existing run:
full coop.png

(this is an old picture- it's now fully roofed)
Because of the way that the supports are (in a T shape) I would have to duck down to get into it, but I could probably deal with that. For integration, at some point I might like to try the panic room method- for that would I just keep it open and put some chicken wire across with the holes?

For integration, at some point I might like to try the panic room method- for that would I just keep it open and put some chicken wire across with the holes?

Yes, that should work well. Or a piece of wood or even cardboard with holes could probably work, too.

Or just secure the door open the right amount to be the hole. You would need to have something so it stays the right amount open--maybe a brick or rock in the opening so it cannot close and another rock or a rope to keep it from opening any further.

A 6' x 10' dog kennel would be another way to go. Used they can be quite reasonable in cost and have a good resale potential if you decide you do not want it later, additionally they include doors.
One other suggestion I would make is can you build more of the panels your current run is made from? If you live in the suburbs have set ups that look consistent and neat can be a good plan.
Good Luck increasing your flock.

A 6' x 10' dog kennel would be another way to go. Used they can be quite reasonable in cost and have a good resale potential if you decide you do not want it later, additionally they include doors.
One other suggestion I would make is can you build more of the panels your current run is made from? If you live in the suburbs have set ups that look consistent and neat can be a good plan.
Good Luck increasing your flock.
6x10 is much too large for my parents.

I'd really like to build more, but they were such a PITA to build that my mom never wants to do that ever again.
I also can't lift them on my own, and figuring out something where my parents don't have to lift a finger will be a huge advantage.

I was thinking of spray painting the T posts white, so that it could be at least a little bit cohesive.

Back
Top Bottom