How to put day old chicks under a broody hen.....

My flock eats Flock Raiser, and it's great for chickens of all ages. You can feed your broody hen and chicks an all-flock feed, or chick feed. She shouldn't be eating layer, because she isn't laying eggs while brooding. Mary

Lol... You said you never saw a hen leave her nest after day 16 then go back and sit on the eggs! Well...I would like to introduce you to my hen, Presley! She's a silkie hen, her first time being broody... And today was day 20! Not only did she leave her nest, and the eggs were VERY COLD, but one had started to pip! There was no reason for her to flee... Other than she goes it on the pen and I think gets sidetracked and forgot to get her fluffy butt on her eggs! Anyways...I managed to save the egg that had pipped... And after I had taken the eggs to bring them inside to see if I could save them... She went right back to get nest and has been sitting there the rest of the day...it's currently midnight! Lol... So I guess my girl is a bit goofy! And I read your instructions AFTER I went and put the baby underneath her...I do think those are great instructions... But for me, wow... First off, my girl let me pet her and touch her the whole time... She would growl, but that's it. I took her eggs several times to candle them and she never did any of the things you mentioned!? But I think it's cause my girl was hand raised by me and she loved in the house for awhile...I think she really trusts me!? The only thing that would explain it.
Anyways, I liked your instructions... But I'm glad I have a hen that is trusting enough that I didn't have to do ANY of that...I even had a flashlight on her...oops! Of course I didn't shine it in her face, but it was a normal bright light...:)
Anyways again...I hope that even though I didn't adhere to the information you gave, let's hope that my girl takes to get baby chick and that the chick is fine in the morning! Although I'll be checking every hour cause I'm a nervous mamma! Lol... Here's to a sleepless night!

I am trying this tonight with my Olive Egger. Not a recommended breed, but she is very insistent so I ordered 5 chicks that I picked up today, though given 6 instead! I will go make a few adjustments to her broody nest/enclosure before dark after reading your excellent post and bring the chicks around 9 or 10PM. I did not do quite all you suggest, but hope she will accept and raise them happily anyway! (As a first-timer, I am very nervous.)

Back
Top Bottom