How to raccoon-proof these latches?

It should still work with OP's setup. The strike plate.......the loop on the right the bolt slides into can be mounted as shown, or turned 90 degrees so the bolt slides into the hole. I use this type latch on all my pedestrian doors. That is a quick and easy install.....and latch is pretty much bomb proof.

Having said that, I also have the same "wimpy" latch the builder used installed on the pop doors (2 of them) on the Woods house. I'm living in varmint and coon central and in 6 years, no animal has ever figured out how to open them. If one could get a paw past the edge so it could pull hard, it might force it open, but with my setup, none ever has. But mine are also a tight fit. If loose and floppy, that would be a different story. Pop doors are also located on a side, with wide open end around the corner. They get distracted on the open window looking in.
Im so glad to hear the sliding locks aren’t as weak as I thought! We still have that on our pop door too.

we ended up jury-rigging a gate latch using the existing drilled hole - I will try and snap a picture tomorrow. It locks with a keyed padlock. I also will put up hot wires if the predators get really aggressive. So far, the chicks are settling in for the night in their new coop and I feel good they’re safe and secure! Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• 95A023A5-F392-4443-B60D-8EEBE42C9CD2.png
    95A023A5-F392-4443-B60D-8EEBE42C9CD2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
Hey friends! We are prepping our big coop for the girls to move into soon. They’re getting too big in the “baby” coop we have set up in our garage.

But I know these latches won’t hold up to a clever raccoon. I bought a different, pad-lockable latch from Lowes today but unfortunately it won’t work with the way our coop door is built.

Any suggestions on how to make these latches work to keep our girls safe, or suggestions of pest-proof latches that might work on our setup? The door is kind of recessed in the frame, which made the larger gate latch I purchased impossible to install.

Thanks all!
I would add another piece of wood to each side of the door to make everything flush. Then you can put any kind of latch on that you want.

Back
Top Bottom