How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
[
For me, with my non-game roosters, I want them to be smart enough to realize I am not a threat to the flock. I have had a few that seemed too stupid to realize I wasn't a bear. I'm sure not going to give those birds leeway just because they're around hens.
Yes - a good, smart rooster will realize that his human keeper is not a threat to the hens. I want my roosters watching out for real threats, not worrying about me.

A rooster in with hens is protecting his hens. You are invading his space and may be considered a threat to the hens.
Not if the correct relationship is formed. I've had roosters come running when I grab a hen, but they quickly stop when they see it's me. I guess I must be a chicken whisper. :confused: I take the time to observe my birds, and their body language. Once you understand that you can read them and know what they are thinking.

If a rooster routinely attacks you when you pick up a hen, than get him first and secure him in a crate or pen to avoid setting up bad behaviors. Chickens are creatures of habit. It's up to you not to let bad habits develop.

I have some disabilities and can no longer bend down fast enough to grab them. The net works well for me. Birds don't scratch or bite me. They calm right down.
I use a net sometimes too. The net isn’t completely my point. It’s lack of handling period. If you only handle them a tiny bit you have no idea whether they are “friendly” or not. Sure if he doesn’t run you down and kick the snot out of you then he isn’t “bad” but that doesn’t prove you can really handle them.

Improper handling and acting nervous, scared around them causes problems.
Yes. I think part of the reason there is so much division on the topic is that we all have 'invisible' body language that we aren't aware of and can't control. That influences greatly what conscious actions we make will work or not work.
I know a lady that had chickens for years. All her roosters seemed to turn mean. Turns out she was terrified of them. No wonder they would all flog her!

Not if the correct relationship is formed. I've had roosters come running when I grab a hen, but they quickly stop when they see it's me. I guess I must be a chicken whisper. :confused: I take the time to observe my birds, and their body language. Once you understand that you can read them and know what they are thinking.

If a rooster routinely attacks you when you pick up a hen, than get him first and secure him in a crate or pen to avoid setting up bad behaviors. Chickens are creatures of habit. It's up to you not to let bad habits develop.
I don’t need any advice on handling roosters. I have a bunch and I’m taking about their mindset. They are protecting hens and territory.

Yes - a good, smart rooster will realize that his human keeper is not a threat to the hens. I want my roosters watching out for real threats, not worrying about me.
Agreed. I make this partly my responsibility through body language, though. I catch hens without using predatory actions so as not to set off the alarms in his little head. It's a shared thing. He's gotta be smart, and I've gotta be sensitive to how he sees my body language.

I use a net sometimes too. The net isn’t completely my point. It’s lack of handling period. If you only handle them a tiny bit you have no idea whether they are “friendly” or not. Sure if he doesn’t run you down and kick the snot out of you then he isn’t “bad” but that doesn’t prove you can really handle them.
Yep.
Chickens have a different perception of safe/bad than people do, I think. They need to be worked with in several different ways to really get a full perception of what he's like and how he reacts to you. Like horses. A human picking them up is an entirely different category than a human across the yard. A saddle from the right side is different than a saddle on the left. Obviously these examples don't apply to both species, but you get my point. :lol:

I don’t need any advice on handling roosters. I have a bunch and I’m taking about their mindset. They are protecting hens and territory.
And I'm talking about how to raise and handle non aggressive roosters. Mine never attack me in any manner no matter what. I'm sharing how I do it. You are free to deal with yours in whatever manner suits you. :)

Yes. I think part of the reason there is so much division on the topic is that we all have 'invisible' body language that we aren't aware of and can't control. That influences greatly what conscious actions we make will work or not work.
I know a lady that had chickens for years. All her roosters seemed to turn mean. Turns out she was terrified of them. No wonder they would all flog her!
I’ve seen a lot of people handle roosters and this is almost always the problem imo. They are totally unsure of themselves. I get it though they’re fast and some of them hurt.

Back
Top Bottom