How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
Hmm...

I have a feeling that if you're a man, you have way less chances of having an aggressive rooster with the above type of approach. If you're a girl, then maybe teaching them respect while they are young is the better way to go.

I have an 8x12 coop, with occasional free ranging (I used to do it every day, less now because of the neighbors dogs).

I have a RIR who is the oldest, she's about a year and 3 Buff Orpingtons who are about 9 months old. Then there are three pullets whom I purchased at the same time as the cockerel, but they are all bigger than him so maybe just a week or so older.

No one has provoked any negative behavior toward him (but remember he's only 8 weeks anyway).

Yes, I am a male and you could be correct with a different approach. I would go with the approach you feel most comfortable with.

With that being said my wife can also pick either of the boys up at anytime. My wife is about 5'-7" and my 12 year old daughter is 5'-3" , so they aren't imposing in stature.
My wife was concerned in the beginning about having roosters and them being aggressive but we have been lucky. In fact our flock is like having small kids around when trying to do anything outside. Boys and girls alike will be under our feet.

The reason I mention negative behavior is a friend of mine had a BCM cockerel that at a very young age his wife would shake her foot at him to aggravate him. Well about 4 months later she had to use a broom or a rake to enter their run. Unfortunately he had to eliminate the cockerel due to aggression.

I wouldn't think space would be a concern and he has enough girls to keep him happy.

foot shaking and broom pushing, increases aggression. I think you are lucky to have an orpington, I have 2 buffs that are 15 weeks old. They only come running for cuddles, not treats at this point, because the big hens eat all the treats before they can get any. I had a bunch of diff roosters from the frypan bargain, and they were not mean, just not coming up to get the attention. The others got rehomed. Have had many roosters, and no problems with any I kept, they either would come up for attention, or avoid me.

Chiming in sooo late but I find the hands off approach unnecessary

my baby boy who is now 7 months was friendly to me bc his chicken family including his mama who raised him is friendly with me so it's what he knew

I have 4 roosters they all love me the Orpingtons don't like to be touched so I don't the egger boys will cuddle and still know I'm the leader

Chickens, including roosters love you for the treats you provide them, give them time with you feeding them

It will be up to the individual chicken how they decide to act but your actions will also help to determine it

Chickens are smarter than even many who own them realize, they don't need to be herded or trapped or treated like a mindless creature.

My girls come when called by individual names :lol:

I will say my boys do not come for treats. If they are offered a treat they will call the girls over and not eat the treat themselves. Mine will accompany the girls just to make sure everything is ok. Now the girls can be like piranhas when it comes to treats. Bananas are their favorite.

We do like our Orps but I like the Biel hens better. They are much better layers , more inquisitive and in general more personable. They do not come in the variety of colors that Orps do but there eggs are twice the size. My Orp lays a medium egg , which is ok, and we have chosen to add more Orps.

I’ve come to like the smaller eggs, but maybe that’s just because I’ve never had such fresh eggs before. :p

My girls come when called by individual names :lol:

:idunno I tried to give my ladies’ names, but there are too many, and several of each breed. I can’t tell them apart except for the runt, whose name is Mercy. I enjoy them but think maybe a male or three would be an advantage for them to have around.

Aside from the bickering, I’ve really enjoyed this discussion, so thanks for posting your question, @LikeTurkeys . I’ve got some little boys coming in May and I appreciate hearing how everyone deals with their roos.

I've only had two Roos so far. Speckled Sussex from cackle. I read they tend to be more docile. I heard in a SS group on FB that the ones coming from Cackle lately were mean. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I did the hands off approach. Didn't matter. The Alpha Roo would come at any human that got too close to the coop. And by too close I mean... if he saw you at all. The hens didn't like him at all. He was huge and mean. He mostly hung out with the Guineas too. He wasn't in the oven an hour when the other Rooster stepped up and took over and he ended up being even meaner to the humans. At least he was kinda nice to the hens... but I felt hunted every time I went out to the coop. And at least the first rooster would come at you straight, the second one would run up on you with your back turned. One day he managed to jump up hip-height on me and start raking my leg and pecking. Good thing his spurs weren't sharp yet. That was his last day.

I'm sad. I really wanted my own little sustainable Sussex operation here --and I miss the crowing. But it's so much more peaceful here now.

In my experience, it doesn't matter how they were raised as much as it matters how you deal with the aggression if it shows up at all. I've had roosters raised both ways turn out aggressive.
One of my roosters, who I found when he was about 5 months old in a parking lot, follows me around, tidbits to me, flies on my shoulder when he wants treats or attention, and in the 9 months that I've had him he's not shown any aggression to me. So, not all bold cockerels turn into aggressive roosters.

I raise all my roosters with a hands off approach. They grow up weary of me and they keep their distance. When I approach they go the other way. A young rooster shouldn't be too forward or invade your personal space. I make sure as they mature they run from me. When they are mature, after 2 years, I don't care as much, and they usually become more friendly with age. After 2 years my roosters can do as they please. They remain respectful to me.

I raise multiple roosters a year. They are all different breeds. None are aggressive with me. So either my technique works 100% of the time, or it's me. :)
So do you also raise your hens with hands off approach? and if not, I guess my biggest question is how do you tell who's the boys & who's the girls?

I believe in remove hens from rooster’s sight and out of rooster’s mind and aggressive attitude goes away. That is why they attack. You are a predator to him concerning hens.

We use a dremel tool to sand down spurs. All I have to do is show them this tool and everyone just slinks away, and hides. Lol

Back
Top Bottom