How to RAISE a good rooster.

Firstly...:gig

Secondly, there are so many variables real and imaginary involved in getting what is considered an "acceptable" rooster it isn't even funny. Rambling on about it is perfect practice for blowing smoke up an arse and not much more.
In the end it isn't rocket science it is a chicken with testes.:D
And of course I found this hilariass! :lau:lau

Every year I raise up more and more boys. This year, rooster coop has had about 70 males come through, from my hatching. So I feel like I'm experienced enough to chime in on rooster raising.

A lot of their temperament is tied up into their genetics. Generally speaking, I see 30% as good/easy/confident, 30% too submissive/weak/good pets and the others split into smaller percentages of varying degrees of aggressive/terrible.

If you coddle a chick that carries the personality to be awful, he's not going to be shy in flogging you. You may not be able to prove your point to him, he'll just keep coming at you. Then the kids too, for good measure.

If you coddle a submissive rooster, he'll bond to you. Especially if you "rescue" him from getting bullied.

Not all roosters are smart. Some are quite savvy, they get it, wise on life by 8 months old. There are idiots too. Or those blinded by hormones.

The way a cockerel turns out is partly genetics and partly his rearing. Stomping your foot at him can be seen as a challenge. Throwing your hands out is a challenge. Running away from him invites a chase, he feels he's winning.

A cockerel must never "win" against the people. If he does, it boosts his confidence.

If a young little turd wants to come at me, when those first hormones start peaking through, I'll snatch him out of the air. I don't engage in a play fight, I don't challenge him and I definitely don't run away. I snatch him, quick and easy. It shocks him. He learns how long my arms are. We establish the 3 ft rule. The other boys watched it all go down.

They learn a lot by watching. I have my cockerel pen up against a flock, where they can see/watch a rockstar rooster tend his flock. My best rooster is set up near the young upstarts/hopefuls, where they can see the interactions with the hens and the people.

This guy is my rooster coop leader, at 7 months old. I can pet him, he takes walks with me. I raised him hands-off, like all my chicks. He wanted to come at me, playfully, as a chick. Later, when his hormones started coming in, he really wanted to. Snatched him out of the air 3 times, pinned him to the ground 1 time. Now he gets it and we're friends. I talk to him a lot, we've established our boundaries, he's a good boy now.

rooboy.jpg

He also raises my young boys. He's fair, not too domineering. He dug into one yesterday, a 12 week old that was bullying an 8 week old over one of the feeders. He made his point and moved on. He put the fear of god into that 12 week old, without actually hurting him. Not a feather came off his head.

He takes the youngsters out and shows them around. He's a cull for breeding but he found himself a job anyways!
henryroo1.jpg

When raising boys, they're not pets. They can be but they need to have the temperament for it. That temperament varies quite a bit within the different breeds and bloodlines. We're dual purpose, so we don't give out many chances to aggressive males and those aggressive ones won't ever find themselves in with hens. If I hatch enough of them, I can find the type and the temperament I'm after within the group, without having to keep a sour rooster with good type.

When I'm sorting a pen of 8 weeks olds that have had minimal contact, sometimes they're really easy to grab, sometimes I get bit. I take note on the ones that bite me, they tend to be the same ones who try to flog me from behind later on.

There is a cool confidence I look for in a rooster. Those types usually end up being my favorite. They do their job, they're easy, they run a tight flock and keep a good eye out. They find food, they make nests, they take on new additions and control the hen drama. They also make excellent mentors for the next generation.

Sometimes we have to cull from rooster coop for excessive aggressiveness. The next day, it's a whole new happy flock after the offender was removed. Having a dedicated leader bird has lessened the instance of bullying.

The cockerel running rooster coop... he's the last one from his group. The only one of 10 to be the total package in good roostering skills. Too bad he has middle toe feathers and an off color saddle and other little dings against the breed standard.

Wow, so informative thread. I read it all because I'm trying to decide weather to keep a new Cockerel 9 weeks old. He came from my last batch of girls. I already have a rooster that has never been aggressive. He was adopted. My Cockerel crowed for the first time yesterday. So cute. So far I've used the hands off approach.

U just got to tame him spending lots of time time with him and dont let him get away with speaking u or chasing u try and b the alpha in a sense toward him if he thinks ur in control he wont do nothing to u

I kept Charlie chickens brother Kendall Jenner...
,6b.PNG

Just to come bite me in the butt, I said I had not had any problem rooster. Kendall's hormones are kicking in and and he has not breed with the hens yet, so he is taking it out on me. I am going to wait until he starts to breed, and maybe calms down before doing anything about him. He has not started crowing and he is 5 months 8 days.

This is exactly what I do, I basically ignore them I guess. I don't hold any of my chickens as chicks really and I'm tripping over them daily when I go to feed them. They get as friendly as I care for them to be without anything extra. I have 5 roosters and they all just move out of my way and go about their business, and I go about mine.

This isn't to say that historically in my life I've never had a mean rooster, but there haven't been many.
So... just this week (with the help of BYC) I’ve realized that one of my babies is a roo. 7 weeks old, image above. He’s not aggressive at this young age, but does come to me and assert himself... pecking at my boots usually. Should I disallow this behavior? If I raise and show the sole of my boot to him as he approaches (just tried this today) he tries a few more times and then gives up. I’m thinking that’s me gently showing dominance. Agree, or just silly imagining?!
25C0A71B-EE82-4678-AF46-5B69F12A2FDE.jpeg
CB4CEEDA-D4B4-43EC-9313-31FB2CA1F833.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom