How to raise friendly chickens?

You'll do great with all of them. Just take cues from their body language. The older they get, the more friendly they will be (at least for hens, in my experience). The roos are another story. I've heard time and time again, not to coddle the boys, but of course I haven't heeded that good advice so far, my roos are very little though (2-3 months old), that is my excuse.
roll.png
I am likely raising tiny monsters....I really should listen....

Just spend a lot of time with them especially the first few weeks, handling them as much a possible. The more you handle them at a young age the more they are going to bond with you. As they get older continue handling them and offering them treats to get them to eat from your hand. Before you know it, you will have them hopping up in your lap and flying up on your shoulder when you sit in the run with them.

my advice.
what i did was hold the chickens when they were babies, alot. that helped. and spoke to them so they got familar with my voice.

I think they respond to emotions A LOT. They are very into loving.

It also depends on the breed, and whether they were incubator hatched (no bonding) vs momma hatched (bonding). Some chicks who were hatched in a kids' shirt or under a motherly cat are just as bonded to others as chicks that were hatched under a hen. Some incubator chicks from TV rooms in houses bond really well if somebody's around to cuddle with and talk to.

But I have a neighbor who said her hatchery chicks never could figure it out; flighty breed + no opportunity to bond = skittish birds who run away all the time. Our birds pretty much ASKED us to take them home, they were pets first, and trained us, not the other way around. If they had been skittish or hard to get close to, it wouldn't have happened at all.

We took ours home from a Rare Breeds Farm Show at a local museum, from some 4H-ers. Maybe that's a good way to find birds who are already friendly?

I don't think anyone mentioned getting down to their level, as close as you can. Instinct tells them that anything big approaching from above is a bird of prey. An ideal setup for new ones is a brooder raised up off the floor or ground with the ability to slide your and in from their side. Of course you need to have some feed or a treat in that hand. With older birds, it helps a lot to pull up a chair and let them get used to your presence, then tempt them over with a treat, say, placed on your shoe.

I'm not consistent with these things and don't have a cuddly lap chicken, but several run right up to me and let me pet them.

I agree with ddawn. I have four pullets that I got as five month olds. They were very skittish when I first got them. I just learned to move slowly around them and they have learned that I am the treat lady so they have calmed down a lot. I crouched down in the coop yesterday and they were all hanging around me. I have had them for months now and I was pretty happy that not only did they not run away, they were approaching me. I didn't even have any food in my hands. I don't think they will ever be lap chickens but it is nice to be able to just "hang" with them and watch them. The other thing that I did notice is that the pullets got a lot friendlier once they started laying. Have fun with your chickens. Their antics will keep you amused for hours!
smile.png

I started with a small flock of hand raised chicks an adopted injured Bo hen, none are what I call a lap chicken even hand raised then I hatched some under a broody 13 weeks now and the girls are more skittish then the roos, the bantams will jump on my lap to get the meal worms but they don't stay there. I think its something you need to be persistant with, I work so I can't spend every day with them.

The rooster from the pic I posted earlier was a few months old when I got him. I think he is about a year old now. If he ever got mean I suppose he would end up in the stew pot, but he hasn't ever given us any reason to serve him up, so I figure as long as he likes the lovin' I'll give him some too.

Back
Top Bottom