How to raise friendly roosters?

I love roosters and would have 20 of them if there was a way to do it. They are charming beyond belief! But you have to be willing to understand how to be a rooster whisperer and make sure you establish yourself as the #1 rooster. That is the key to living with them. I have had several at one time and had them all under my control and am now down to two with one in each of my two main coop and runs. Pants (light Brahma, maybe?) is 3 or 4 years old and is just a doll, comes when I call him and does enjoy being picked up and held for short periods of time. Princeton (Specked Sussex) is two years old and is more rooster than pet but does like to sit on my lap when I sit in the coop or when they are free ranging and I am nearby. Importantly they both move away when I make it clear I want them to move. There is a lot of information online about how to train / tame roosters. I mostly did it by instinct having trained a lot of horses, which are big animals. You really just cannot ever let them get their way, it has to always be your way and never ever show fear. Handle them firmly and tactfully and they will eat out of your hand!

Attachments

• 0419201651b.jpg
    0419201651b.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 0522201809k.jpg
    0522201809k.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Rule #1 do not handle and become friends with your Rooster. Keep your distance and he will keep his. Perfect relationship.

Well, too late. Maybe it was because I was holding his pullet, but he climbed onto me by himself.

IMG-20210104-WA0046.jpg

But he’s also one of the more docile breeds (do you know the breeds of yours?)

Apparently he's a barred Plymouth Rock.
Is there a way you can convince your mom not to be afraid of chicken pecks?

I don't think so... I think they could even "focus" on her more because they kind of know she's afraid of them :lol: It's funny for me as long as there is no real aggression... I guess I'll just have to wait until Oreo (yeah that's his name) is older, but I was asking in case there was something I could do now that he's still a baby chick to make him friendlier in the future... There doesn't seem to be any "trick" as far as I've seeing, apart from being firm when establishing boundaries.

But then again, I'm the "flock master", not my mom... And she's the one in fear!

Well, too late. Maybe it was because I was holding his pullet, but he climbed onto me by himself.

View attachment 2475918

I don't think so... I think they could even "focus" on her more because they kind of know she's afraid of them :lol: It's funny for me as long as there is no real aggression... I guess I'll just have to wait until Oreo (yeah that's his name) is older, but I was asking in case there was something I could do now that he's still a baby chick to make him friendlier in the future... There doesn't seem to be any "trick" as far as I've seeing, apart from being firm when establishing boundaries.

But then again, I'm the "flock master", not my mom... And she's the one in fear!
Is that him currently? What makes you think rooster? If it is a barred rock, the way it's feathering out right now would make me think pullet.

Is that him currently? What makes you think rooster? If it is a barred rock, the way it's feathering out right now would make me think pullet.

I tried:
- Feathers method (when he was younger).
- This method for Plymouth rocks.
- My own experience when having males in the past... The way 'he' acts, protects, guides his little mate and chooses food when they're free in the backyard... Even when they sleep he's always on top of her.
- Other chicken keepers have told me he's most likely a rooster as well.

If you think he's actually a she, well, that's good to know! Maybe I'm worrying about a problem I won't even have in the future, but I still wanted to have some information in case he is a roo.

I tried:
- My own experience when having males in the past... The way 'he' acts, protects, guides his little mate and chooses food when they're free in the backyard... Even when they sleep he's always on top of her.

If you think he's actually a she, well, that's good to know! Maybe I'm worrying about a problem I won't even have in the future, but I still wanted to have some information in case he is a roo.
I've never had Barred Rock chicks so I could totally be wrong. Were did you get him? The head spot has become less reliable when they come from hatcheries.

I tried:

Although now that I look at him again he does appear to have a lot of bars.

View attachment 2475918

Sounds good! I was just trying to give you some hope and options ☺️. My Gerard is soooooper sweet (Buff Orpington so a docile breed) but between 7-12 months old, he was a bit pecky (young boy hormones), but now he climbs in my lap and sidles up to me for wuvvies.

Hopefully your little guy will be sweet (and I still stand behind handling him a lot - that way he gets used to you touching him (not to say the other comments about keeping distance are wrong - just a different outlook and way of doing things (the truth is I just can’t help myself - I have to hold them! 😍)).

Also, I’ve noticed that sometimes if they like being held as babies, they enjoy being held as adults, so if he likes snuggles, MAYBE that will mean he’ll be more mellow (again, I have only my own ‘research’ to go on 😂).

And finally, if your mum doesn‘t need to or want to interact with them, and you’re in charge, I guess it’s really up to what you want to put up with.

Anyhoo, good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom