How to Remove Metal Anti-pick Bits from Adult Bobwhites

AdL

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum, and new to game birds.

Okay, here is the background: I am unexpectedly receiving three adult Bobwhites tomorrow, who I believe have metal anti-pick bits applied. The man from whom I'm receiving them, is "getting out" of quail, and I am taking his final three, but he sent them just today, before receiving my check, so I was unable to request that he remove the bits before sending them. I quickly went out today to purchase general supplies: quail crumbles, feed & water stations, absorbent material (no cedar), hay for bedding, sav-a-chick (for stress), meal worms, etc. I've already built a pen with 1/4" welded wire, and will purchase fresh greens for them tomorrow. Please let me know if you recommend other supplies to have on hand.

My main question, however, is can anyone explain to me how to remove the anti-pick bits, or steer me in the right direction for finding instructions or assistance? I did some online research last night, but found absolutely nothing on how to remove the metal anti-pick devices. I'm sure some people feel I should keep the bits, but I really feel strongly about removing them, unless anyone can give a vital reason I need them. I will have only these three bobwhites with the hope of receiving 24 eggs in June. I plan to keep only a small amount of bobwhites, and to spend quite a bit of time with them, so I can be on top of any pecking or cannabilism. Obviously, I imagine the metal of the bit can be cut or separated, but I am particularly concerned about damaging their nares. I spoke to several people at our feed store that sells chickens/turkeys/ducks, but none of them have ever actually encountered a bird with a bit applied. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to remove them, or how to find someone to remove them.

Thanks so much, and do have a lovely evening!

AdL

take two pairs of pliers.. wrap the quail in a towel to make it easier to manage. Put it between your legs with the head facing away from you. Take one pair of pliers on each side of the nose and gently bend the bit open.. just enough so one end will come out of the nose..

You may need wormer, 7 dust(and a feed sack) for mites, or a sand box for them to dust in..

There are pliers that work opposite of the normal kind, they're called ring openers. I imagine that's what would be ideal for this, but two pairs of regular pliers would also work.
I have a pair of ring openers for use for body jewelry that I got from a body jewelry company online, but I think they make heavier duty ones for farm animals and other applications that you might find locally.

As Burt Said... Just Cut Them. This Is The Easiest And Safest Way For You And The Bird.

Why Bits? Chances Are There's A Very Good Reason For Those Bits To Begin With... You May Want To Reconsider Their Removal. Until You Have Some Experience With Bobs In Specific I Cannot Even Begin To Stress How Over Exagerated Your Sense Of Easiness And Manageability With These Birds Actually Is. They Are Mean And Wicked Fast... No 2 Ways Around It, This Is Basic Bob Nature And Ability... Until Witnessed A Few Times The Average Person Isnt Capable Of Believing Or Understanding It. I Dont Blame You For Wanting The Bits Gone... Personally I Am Not Overly Partial To Them Myself, But They Can Be Quite Useful And Almost A Necessity With Some Animals. I'm Just Sayin'.... You May Want To Ease Into This For A While Before You Remove Them??

Thank you Riffecreek, deerman, Tala & JJMR794 for such prompt replies! I definitely feel less anxious about removing the bits now, and JJMR794 I will take your suggestion under advisement. I've decided I should probably wait anyway to remove the bits (if I decide to do so), since manhandling them at this point will probably just add more stress to birds that are already stressed. So even though I may not need to know this minute how to remove the bits, I am much relieved in knowing how to go about it when the time comes. Again, thanks, for great advice...you guys are gems! Do have a great day!

AdL

Yes don't be in a hurry to remove them, other than the looks little harm with them. Myself i only put them in birds thats are bad about pecking other birds. Bit or bald or dead birds ????? Bird starts that pecking crap....in goes a bit.

Quote:
THIS IS A WISE CHOICE... I UNDERSTAND YOUR DISLIKE OF BITS... ITS NOT UNCOMMON. I DONT PARTICULARLY CARE FOR THEM EITHER. BUT AS IN MY CASE AND DEERMANS WE USE FOR OUR PROBLEM CHILDREN... IF YOUR BIRDS ARE DONE THIS WAY ITS KINDA LIKE HAVING A FELONY ASSAULT ON YOUR RECORD... THE BIT TELLS A TALE. ADD TO THAT THE FACT THAT YOU ARE CHANGING THEIR ENVIRONMENT AND STRESSING THEM OUT WHICH IF THEY ARE AGRESSORS WILL MAKE THEM MORE PRONE TO ACTING OUT AGAIN. LET THEM SETTLE IN FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND IF YOU STILL FEEL THEY ARE UN-NECESSARY THEN REMOVE THEM... TAKING YOUR TIME IN THIS WAY MAY SAVE YOU SOME GRIEF AND YOUR BIRDS SOME DAMAGE.

Quote:
THERE ARE SOME BREEDERS THAT AUTOMATICALLY PLACE THEM IN YOUNG BIRDS WHEN BROODING AS A PREVENTATIVE... PERSONALLY I DONT, BUT EACH HAS THEIR OWN WAYS OF DOING THINGS
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom