How to remove the leg bands from goslings? (and how to mark them)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
A few other people in my 'area' (few hours away) went in on a gosling order together from metzer farms. Originally, they were supposed to be shipped for arrival on April 1st, but one of the breeds didn't hatch well, so we had to wait. It was then supposed to be sent for April 29th arrival. I called them on Monday to change my credit card info, and asked to make sure they would have them this time. Not only would they have them, but they had them that day!
celebrate.gif
So this morning I went to the P.O. and picked up the babies. They were not expected until next week Wednesday, so I get to keep all of them till then
love.gif

So here is my problem. There are 4 pilgrim and 4 american buffs, 2 males and 2 females of each. The only ones I can readily identify are the female pilgrims, the buffs and male pilgrims look very similar. They came with colored leg bands to mark the breed and sex of each, but I have to remove these since the goslings grow so fast.

How do I remove the bands?? They look like they are basically a piece of heavy wire, and I don't want to hurt them!

Second dilemma is how do I mark the goslings so that when their real parents come to get them, I'll know who's who and what's what??

I was thinking of using some colored permanent marker on their toenails, would that work?? Is there a better way to do it? I don't have any leg bands to switch them with.

Thanks for your help!
smile.png

In a perfect world, the Pilgrim males will not look anything like the American Buffs. At all.

Pilgrim males should have a bright peach bill and legs and be more of a fuzzy yellow-grey color. American Buffs have murky colored bills and feet and, when seen in the light, should look more orange.

Place all of the babies in the sun and take a look at them. You should be able to pick out who is who. If you can't then leaving the leg bands on for a couple of days shouldn't be a big deal.

The bands can be removed with wire cutters and might be able to be removed with kitchen scissors, or some other heavy duty pair of scissors. The easiest way to mark the goslings after that is by using zip ties. Make sure you cut off the excess and use the smallest zip ties you can buy (I think they're the 3-4" long ones that are nice and easy to cut through).

You can mark them with a marker or paint, but I've found that the goslings always end up losing those marks within a few days while finding exciting new ways to get wet.

The buffs do have a buff coloring to them, and the darker colored bills, but part of the problem is that the others who got these goslings ordered them in pairs. One person has 1 pair of buffs, the other has 1 pair buff and 1 pair pilgrim. I want to make sure I know which are female and which are male. I would hate for one to get 2 males and the other 2 females! I don't have any zip ties right now, so would nail polish work better than the permanent marker?

Oh my goodness!! The babies are here!!

By chance do you have a digi cam so you can take pictures?
smile.png

Can't wait to see them! Thank you for taking care of them till we can get them.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a day trip and come and get my "kids" early. That might help with the issue as well.

Not sure what would be better for the goslings. Let them have a week to grow and then get them or get them "home" asap and then let them settle.

What to do, what to do?!

Every time I've had a duck or goose come marked from the hatchery, they've gotten the markings off in record time.

Nail polish may work better than marker, but I wouldn't count on it. If it's really important to know who's who, I'd probably leave the bands on for now, and swing by the store to pick up some zip ties.

Another possible option would be put the different groups in different brooders. Not sure if you're set up to do that, though.

I think it would be good to keep them together, but if the zip tie idea doesn't work, it might provide another option.

Back
Top Bottom