How to repel flys.

For chickens in particular with their small, dry-ish, poops, I would go for very absorbent bedding such as wood chips. I've heard good results from chip drop for getting free woodchips delivered to your place, although availability may vary by location.

I have no firsthand experience with the others, but I think goats and ducks may follow the same logic as chickens - just keep the area as dry and absorbant as possible.

As for the big wet poop animals such as cows, I would probably just try to keep them away from the humans in general. get them out into the field as much as possible to deposit their poops where they won't matter.

For chickens in particular with their small, dry-ish, poops, I would go for very absorbent bedding such as wood chips. I've heard good results from chip drop for getting free woodchips delivered to your place, although availability may vary by location.

I have no firsthand experience with the others, but I think goats and ducks may follow the same logic as chickens - just keep the area as dry and absorbant as possible.

As for the big wet poop animals such as cows, I would probably just try to keep them away from the humans in general. get them out into the field as much as possible to deposit their poops where they won't matter.
Ok so they are mostly on little pebble Rick's and pine shavings for bedding.

For chickens, planting herbs around the run may help. Along with cleanliness. Fly's are attracted to feces, so if your run is clean they should leave the chickens alone. All the other animals are a different story, you'll get flies either way, but with chickens it is avoidable. I agree fly spray to directly treat them would be helpful at least for the horses. Fly sheets are even easier. You can also try fly traps for horses, or fly stoppers.

Here are herbs that may be helpful for chickens-
282137399_376851811149181_5327930554636623708_n.jpg

For chickens, planting herbs around the run may help. Along with cleanliness. Fly's are attracted to feces, so if your run is clean they should leave the chickens alone. All the other animals are a different story, you'll get flies either way, but with chickens it is avoidable. I agree fly spray to directly treat them would be helpful at least for the horses. Fly sheets are even easier. You can also try fly traps for horses, or fly stoppers.

Here are herbs that may be helpful for chickens-
View attachment 3178372
Thanks...chickens are not the problem lol....but the pigs back up to the chickens so that's most of it lol

I use fly predators. They are little bugs that feed on fly eggs. So they don't help with the already hatched flies, but they will help reduce the overall population.

For the adult flies, I like the long/wide fly paper rolls. Placing them on flat surfaces seems to be more effective than hanging them. The downside is they aren't great in the wind. I use them in the barn but even breezes from the open doors will blow them around. I've also just discovered sticky string. Been thinking about trying that.

For reference, I have chickens, ducks, quail, goats, and horses.

Fly predators! Just tried these little bugs this summer and I LOVE the results. They are tiny little wasps (a bit smaller than a flea) that burrow into the flies' larvae and lay their own eggs in there. The hatching predators eat the fly larvae, then emerge to go lay more eggs. They keep low to the ground, work at night. Harmless to humans, pets and the environment. VORACIOUS on fly larvae. Even getting a very late start with them this year, we've noticed about 80% reduction in flies on the cattle and in the pig pen.

If I have a farm with goats,cows,sheep,pigs,chickens and ducks how do I repel flys? And I need it to be decently cheap, whatz your trick?
Lavendar plants!! 🥳🥳🥳 I had a terrible time with Flys. I have a 12x24 foot coop and on on side I placed in pots 10 med size Lavendar plants and the Flys are nearly gone. It's a miracle for me and for them🥰🥰!!

Back
Top Bottom