How to restrict free range flock from road and other yards?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknduck, May 21, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Can anyone help.... I have 12 Golden buff chickens who are 2 and a half months old. (raised from day old chicks) They are free range but I thought they would stay over our hill in the back where we have a few acers of wooded area. But they are wondering up by the road. Any suggestions on how to keep them from wondering too far? This is my first flock and I would appriciate any input.

12 Golden Buff hens
    3 Khaki Camble ducks
    2 baby Mallards

2. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    I'd like an answer to that also. Mine now are allowed out only in their tractor (which I can move from place to place) because we have the gardens planted. But, when I used to turn them out, straight for the neighbor's yard they would go. I would even find them on the front side of their house digging up their flower beds (luckily it was fall and nothing growing). I can't fence them out and we have too much garden to fence this time of year. Guess it's true - the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    fencing & clipping wings.... Other than that, I try to go give them a couple handfulls of scratch each day in the area I want them to hang out, it is starting to kinda work, but they still want to come poop all over the patio! Silly birds, making me pull out the hose every day!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    fence them.... some chickens are road savvy... but if you don't want to take any chances, fence them in..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by