How to roof the peak of my A-frame coop?

meredithfp

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
I've been working away on my little coop and I should have it done by next weekend. Good thing, too. These chicks are getting too big for my bedroom. This isn't the most recent pic -- I've got the hardware cloth around the bottom and all the doors on. Still have to do the triangle ends and figure out ventilation.

My biggest question right now is about the peak of the A. Since the doors swing up pretty close to the roof line, what's the best material to use that will allow that movement. Suggestions?

This is my first post here as i just signed up last night, or so. I assume your question is what to put over the very top of the A frame to keep it water tight?

Couple ideas. 1) You can get some water proofing membrane from places like HD or Lowes or other roofing yards. Generally they will come in 4" 6" 8" or wider widths and anywhere from 10' to 50' length rolls. YOU would just roll it over the peak and it has a sticky back on one side and you can also nail or staple it down. Would possible take away any ventilation you currently have at the ridge, if any.

2) I would look at building a second ridge above your ridge line on the coop. Would be the length of the coop and about 8" wide. Would have it about 3" above the current ridge line. Would use 2x4 or 2x3 with a sheet metal roof ridge spanning the length of it. Do a google search of sheet metal roof ridge and you will see what i am talking about.

Thanks for the response. I've never built anything in my life, so this is totally new to me. I feel like I'm just figuring it out as I go and hoping for the best! Not very reassuring.

I built one similar to that and used a piece of gutter upside down over the peak. I left the ends of the gutter open to allow moisture to vent.

Back
Top Bottom