How to Safely Catch and Treat and/or Medicate Peafowl

I had enormous problems with that since last week... restarted computer a gazillion times. There was apparently a bunch of malvertising that got streamed across various websites -- I suspect BYC among them, as part of the third-party advertising that the sites carry.

My computer got kinda messed up... not to mention my antivirus software somehow got messed up... apparently whatever this cr@p was, it got in and corrupted the settings, my kiddo eventually had to figure out how to do a start up from safe mode, downloaded the antivirus updates onto his own computer and then transfer them.

Ran a full system scan and it didn't report finding a virus, but it's behaving find now -- send reports to the antivirus company, so I'm guessing they did something, specially since the problem of the malvertising was all over national news... Antivirus software was crashing before... this was kinda ugly attack. The reports I read said you didn't even have to click on or look at the ads, they just got streamed onto computers via the advertising, and then tore em up.

somad.gif
I have had my BYC page taken over by a full page add off and on for 2 days , i have to hit the back button to get back to the page i was reading, sometimes it repeats to the point that i have to exit BYC and come back.
I went to report it and found that others are having the same problem.

I have had my BYC page taken over by a full page add off and on for 2 days , i have to hit the back button to get back to the page i was reading, sometimes it repeats to the point that i have to exit BYC and come back.
 I went to report it and found that others are having the same problem.

Yeah it got worse and worse and it f#d up my computer... I'm really irritated that it's started again, thought we had it fixed, I think byc is reinfecting my computer

So, it f#(ixe)d up your computer?
idunno.gif
gig.gif

Yeah, that was it...
rant.gif
fixed me up. And down.

Here's a link to news article about the "malvertising" -- this is MOL what I think is happening:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/08/technology/security/malvertising-huffington-post/index.html

So I think the malvertising is coming from 3rd party advertisements here on BYC -- whoever is in charge of that for BYC (it's probably a 3rd party vendor) is inadvertently getting bad stuff. The article explains it better.

I didn't get the "BAD" stuff that it talks about in the article -- I'm running up to date Firefox and current antivirus software -- but the redirection is still bad enough to crash the computer, and it gets heavier and heavier, at least it did last time. It's pretty bad when it crashes your antivirus program.

I'm gonna finish scanning (full system scan takes a couple hours), then shut down, and when my kiddo comes home from work, talk to him about that Malwarebytes anti-malware software, to see if we can try that.

Meanwhile, the company that makes my antivirus and firewall software has released about a dozen updates this afternoon, so there's obviously a higher level of stuff going on.

The CNN article says this stuff (the HuffPo stuff) traced back to an obscure website in Poland, with a malware attack of "unprecedented" proportions (really big scale). Really? From a back room in POLAND? You gotta wonder who's renting that room
smack.gif
sigh.

I wasn't gonna get back on here this evening, but wanted to share what I found out. If the antimalware stuff helps, I will let you know. Meantime, hopefully BYC is taking steps to shut it down.

FOUND THIS ONLINE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL

Mechanism of action of Fenbendazole
The molecular mode of action of all benzimidazoles, including fenbendazole, consists in binding to tubulin, a structural protein of microtubules. These microtubules are important organelles involved in the motility, the division and the secretion processes of cells in all living organisms. In the worms the blocking of microtubules perturbs the uptake of glucose, which eventually empties the glycogen reserves. This blocks the whole energy management mechanism of the worms that are paralyzed and die or are expelled.
Since cell division is also disturbed, worm egg production and development is also blocked by benzimidazoles, i.e. most of them also have an ovicidal effect

The benzimidazoles are a large chemical family used to treat nematode and trematode infections in domestic animals. They also have limited activity against cestodes. However, with the widespread development of resistance and the availability of more efficient and easier to administer compounds, their use has decreased in ruminants. They are characterized by a broad spectrum of activity against roundworms (nematodes), an ovicidal effect, and a wide safety margin. Those of interest are mebendazole, flubendazole, fenbendazole, oxfendazole, oxibendazole, albendazole, albendazole sulfoxide, thiabendazole, thiophanate, febantel, netobimin, and triclabendazole. Netobimin, albendazole, and triclabendazole are also active against liver flukes; however, unlike all the other benzimidazoles, triclabendazole has no activity against roundworms. Because most benzimidazoles are sparingly soluble in water, they are generally given PO as a suspension, paste, or bolus, although topical formulations have also been developed. Differences in the rate and extent of absorption from the GI tract depend on such factors as species, dosage, formulation, solubility, and operation of the esophageal groove reflex. Flubendazole and fenbendazole are also available as an oral suspension or emulsion for application through drinking water, for administration to pigs and chickens.

The most effective of the group are those with the longest half-life, such as oxfendazole, fenbendazole, albendazole, and their prodrugs, because they are not rapidly metabolized to inactive products. Effective concentrations are maintained for an extended period in the plasma and gut, which increases efficacy against immature and arrested larvae and adult nematodes, including lungworms.

They are more effective in ruminants and horses, in which their rate of passage is slowed by the rumen or cecum. Because the nature of their antiparasitic action depends on prolongation of contact time, repeated (2–3 times) PO administration of a full dose at 12-hr intervals increases their efficacy, even against benzimidazole-resistant worms. In addition, a reduced feed intake, which reduces the flow rate of digesta, increases the availability of benzimidazoles.

In the case of oxfendazole, and probably other benzimidazoles, the major route of exposure is biliary metabolites, followed by enterohepatic recycling of the drug after absorption from the small and large intestine. Worms in the mucosa of the small intestine may be exposed to more recycled anthelmintic than to drug contained in the passing ingesta in the GI tract.

Ruminants

In ruminants, PO treatment with the benzimidazoles removes most of the major adult GI parasites and many of the larval stages. The relative rates of oxidation in the liver and reduction in the GI tract vary between cattle and sheep, with the metabolism and excretion of benzimidazole compounds being more extensive in cattle than in sheep. Consequently, the systemic anthelmintic activity of most benzimidazoles is greater in sheep than in cattle, and dose rates in cattle are often higher than those in sheep. Albendazole, fenbendazole, oxfendazole, and febantel are active against inhibited fourth-stage larvae of Ostertagia spp; however, inconsistent efficacy has been reported. Efficacy against Dictyocaulus viviparus has also been noted for these insoluble benzimidazoles. Oxfendazole, albendazole, and febantel are minimally teratogenic in sheep, whereas fenbendazole, mebendazole, and oxibendazole are not. An oxfendazole pulse-release bolus for intraruminal use has been developed for cattle in Europe; 5–6 therapeutic doses of oxfendazole (750 or 1,250 mg/tablet) are released approximately each 3 wk in the rumen. A sustained-release fenbendazole bolus is also available for cattle in some European countries; it contains 12 g fenbendazole and has a continuous release profile of >140 days. An albendazole slow-release capsule has been marketed in Europe and Australasia for small ruminants. This device contains 3.85 g of albendazole and delivers a daily dose of 36.7 mg for 105 days. It is an efficient device to control benzimidazole-susceptible nematodes. It may also prevent infection with benzimidazole-resistant larvae but does not reduce existing infections.

In cattle and sheep, triclabendazole at 10 mg/kg, PO, is highly effective against immature Fasciola hepatica in the liver parenchyma and against the mature stage in the bile ducts. Albendazole and netobimin at 20 mg/kg are active against mature F hepatica; the other benzimidazoles and probenzimidazoles used for nematode control have only a marginal efficacy against liver flukes. Because of the lack of efficacy against the immature stages, only triclabendazole is indicated for treatment of acute fascioliosis. However, triclabendazole resistance has been reported in several countries. Triclabendazole is not approved for use in ruminants in the USA.

Benzimidazoles also have some anthelmintic activity against Moniezia spp in sheep and cattle.

Horses

In horses, the benzimidazoles are characterized by effective removal (90%–100%) of almost all mature strongyles, but third- and fourth-stage larvae are more difficult to eliminate. High levels and repeated administration may be necessary for extra-intestinal migrating stages of large strongyles and for small-strongyle larvae embedded or encysted in the wall of the intestine. However, widespread resistance to benzimidazoles in cyathostome nematodes of horses limits their usage. Repeated doses are thought to be advantageous, because the lethal effect of benzimidazoles is a slow process—hence, their recent incorporation into feed supplements. Ascarid removal in horses varies with various members of the benzimidazole group. Activity against Strongyloides westeri varies also, but Oxyuris equi is usually removed by any of the benzimidazoles at the recommended dose.

Swine

Benzimidazoles (eg, fenbendazole, flubendazole) show high efficacy against both adult and immature stages of Ascaris suum. Benzimidazoles are also highly effective against most other swine nematodes.

Dogs and Cats

In dogs and cats, mebendazole, fenbendazole, febantel, oxfendazole, oxibendazole, and flubendazole are used for treatment of roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. However, treatment must be given for 3 days.

Birds

Mebendazole, flubendazole, and fenbendazole can be used effectively against nematodes of the GI and respiratory tracts of birds.

Mechanism of action of Albendazole
The molecular mode of action of all benzimidazoles, including albendazole, consists in binding to tubulin, a structural protein of microtubules. These microtubules are important organelles involved in the motility, the division and the secretion processes of cells in all living organisms. In the worms the blocking of microtubules perturbs the uptake of glucose, which eventually empties the glycogen reserves. This blocks the whole energy management mechanism of the worms that are paralyzed and die or are expelled.
Since cell division is also disturbed, worm egg production and development is also blocked by benzimidazoles, i.e. most of them also have an ovicidal effect.
Albendazole also inhibits a helminth-specific fumarate reductase, an enzyme involved in the energy management of the worm cells as well

@birdman55 , great info! Thanks!

I think the "bird" section might have gotten truncated... was there more? And could we talk you into posting the link? I think this is really helpful stuff.

Thanks again
clap.gif

I do so much reading online that I cut and paste into Microsoft word so I can read later...ill try and find the link but I found it thru google....I was told by a vet that you need to reapply the dose of any wormer a second time because the eggs hatch and the little worms have to be killed....and that re dosing stops the next cycle of worms..im assuming the cycle from egg to work is about 7 days considering most all wormers say ten to 14 days to reapply...I just got done worming the chickens and after the meds kicked in there poo looks so much better...going to clean out the coop as this is recommended to get ride of any "good eggs" that can be eaten by the birds...and now I am working on worming the pheasants...and lastly the peafowl....so this should be interesting...does a pheasant before I handle them ....do they have the same windpipe as a peafowl would....just a bit smaller...I havnt really opened their mouth when I handle them....well off I go

Back
Top Bottom