How to Safely Catch and Treat and/or Medicate Peafowl

does anybody have any idea what this is he's had it for a couple months and I've been treating him even brought him to the vet but he's still sick he still acts normal and eats the same amount of food as the others so I really wanna tackle this now

It is a sinus infection that has hardened into a cyst. His sinus cavity filled up with pus and mucous and it could not drain, so it began to dry and harden. After a couple months I would imagine the only way you will get it out of there is to cut it out, this is quite common and not as scary as it may sound. A link was posted on the other thread showing how to do it.

It is a sinus infection that has hardened into a cyst. His sinus cavity filled up with pus and mucous and it could not drain, so it began to dry and harden. After a couple months I would imagine the only way you will get it out of there is to cut it out, this is quite common and not as scary as it may sound. A link was posted on the other thread showing how to do it.
Thank you! I've been wondering what is was for awhile...sounds fun a knife and a peacock lol

Edited the post with my number in it. If you don't have it, but would like it, just send me a PM and I'll reply with it.

-Kathy

ok got some great pics for you guys on how to catch and medicate...please forget about the facial expressions during said photos....lol..these are big creatures....good times...the females seem to be a lot easier to do then the males for some reason...
so this is what you wanna do....first single the target bird out

then place net over like so

bird should look like this when placing into the net so it can jump forward into the net making it easy to take back out

bring bird and net close to you ....using left hand to hold the net while scooping the bird under the chest with right hand....I seem to find it easier to contain the bird with my pinky finger under the right leg so I can control the legs...the bird will indeed put pressure on that finger and it is not comfortable...

scooping with right hand

bring bird up to body and secure bird with other hand

stand up with said bird

and said bird is contained.....so pretty....the both of us......lol

then medicate

Last edited:
ok got some great pics for you guys on how to catch and medicate...please forget about the facial expressions during said photos....lol..these are big creatures....good times...the females seem to be a lot easier to do then the males for some reason...
so this is what you wanna do....first single the target bird out

then place net over like so

bird should look like this when placing into the net so it can jump forward into the net making it easy to take back out

bring bird and net close to you ....using left hand to hold the net while scooping the bird under the chest with right hand....I seem to find it easier to contain the bird with my pinky finger under the right leg so I can control the legs...the bird will indeed put pressure on that finger and it is not comfortable...

scooping with right hand

bring bird up to body and secure bird with other hand

stand up with said bird

and said bird is contained.....so pretty....the both of us......lol

then medicate
Be careful when you catch them with the net, you could break their necks by mistake, I have never caught them with the net, and i will never do, i just usually catch them at night to worm them or move them.

yep indeed...the key is to make them jump into the net and not to swing the net at them...you have to hit them just right on the head for this to happen...I know a breeder that is a good size breeder and this actually happened to him.....I feel as if something like this happens then I should not have birds...the likely hood of this happening is slim to none....and would really only happen if the person was to anxious on getting it done rather then taking their time....hope it never happens to me...but the guy it did happen to said in the 30 years of doing this by net it has only happened once...
edited to add when it did happen the guy was selling the Spaulding bird and the customer was right there and he was not taking his time

Last edited:
Be careful when you catch them with the net, you could break their necks by mistake, I have never caught them with the net, and i will never do, i just usually catch them at night to worm them or move them.
This is true, and I did break the neck of a little duckling with a net.
hit.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom