How to save money on your electric bill?

Remember to use your washer/dryers, dishwashers etc after 8 pm and or early in the morning outside of "peak" hour times, (during the dinner hour time) when everyone one else uses alot of electricity. Our hydro gets estimated 2 out of every 3 months and they apparently adjust it when they do the actual reading...sometimes I wonder though. We heat by woodstove, with backup propane(which only comes on when it's really cold out), we turn our lights off around 7 PM, run any major appliances late at night or really early in the morning, and sometimes our hydro bill is still really high.
roll.png

did your state deregulate power?
CT did a few years ago and our electric bill skyrocketed even though our energy use stayed the same ~ and has since decreased considerably. every 3-6 months or so we see a rate hike too.

$600 thats insane. our highest is like $150 and I complain that it's too high and I run alot of stuff that I really should turn off. we have 3 pc's running, a 55 gallon saltwater reef with 400 watts of lighting/filters/heater/etc.

alot of stuff sucks up electricity just sitting there plugged in aka "vampire appliances" like dvd players, cell phone chargers, etc .. you can save a few $$ by connecting them to a power strip and turning off the strip when you aren't using the stuff. I also swapped out all of the lamps in the house with compact fluorescents which use alot less wattage than a regular bulb.

definitely something draining the power, alot of times people have a water leak somewhere and that causes the well pump to keep kicking on and runs up the bill in a hurry.

Mine runs around 180.00 per month. My heat is by wood and the dryer, stove are on propane. The only thing we have on electric is the well pump and refridgerator and lights.

Ok, I now have no right to complain about our $200 a month bill! Someone may have suggested this, and I missed it, by maybe cover all the windows with plastic? I rmember my parents doing this in the winter when we lived in MN.

I wish you the best of luck!
Hugs!

We've cut our energy use in half by changing to energy efficient light bulbs and not using the dryer. Spent only $50 on the energy efficient light bulbs, and bought a cheap retractable line to hang our clothes on. After one month we saved enough money to pay for the light bulbs and clothes line. Plus we don't have to buy dryer sheets anymore.

Back
Top Bottom