How to sex 7 month peacock

We are selling 2 of the females and so far the grown male has been the friendliest to the younger one. We are keeping close eye on them... We have his other pen to move him back its just small wanted him in fresh air and have a run.

We are selling 2 of the females and so far the grown male has been the friendliest to the younger one. We are keeping close eye on them... We have his other pen to move him back its just small wanted him in fresh air and have a run.

Peas are very social birds and things can change overnight. They can become very aggressive and fast this time of year. Monitor as much as you can and keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

When breeding season is over males will become friendly. When breeding season comes around they have short tempers to each other sometimes.

When breeding season is over males will become friendly. When breeding season comes around they have short tempers to each other sometimes.

X2
1f44d.png

I realize that this is only one photo but are any of you concerned about the droopy wing on this male? There are members on here who have way more experience than I have but droopy wings are one of the symptoms I watch for each day. If I do see it I then keep an eye on that bird to see if the droopinesss continues and what if anything I should do about it. Also can someone tell me how to edit a post. .

I realize that this is only one photo but are any of you concerned about the droopy wing on this male? There are members on here who have way more experience than I have but droopy wings are one of the symptoms I watch for each day. If I do see it I then keep an eye on that bird to see if the droopinesss continues and what if anything I should do about it. Also can someone tell me how to edit a post. .

Was it just the 1 wing, or were both drooping a bit? I have seen birds let their wings hang a bit after preening, but usually when I go back later and check they are holding them normally. If it is only 1 and it continues I would be concerned about an injury of some sort. If it's both and it continues I would watch closely, check poop, and offer treats to check appetite. If you want to be really proactive, catch him and check weight. If you decide to catch him, have a dose of wormer ready to go, that way if he is underweight, you can just go ahead and dose him, and won't have to catch him again right away to do that. Be prepared for the tubing of fluids and food, just in case, the quicker you get moving on a sick bird the better it's chances. Keep us posted.

In the bottom left corner of your post you should see a little pencil icon, click on it and you should be able to edit.

Last edited:
DylansMom, thank you for the edit info. In another post I wanted to respond to Alea and every time my auto correct changes it to Manx and I had no clue how to edit the post. The bird in question belongs to strawn28 and I just wanted to see how others felt about that photo. After raising peafowl for six years I have on hand so many meds for birds and ruminants that my shelves look like a pharmacy. Fortunately other than dewormers and corrid I seldom need their use but at least I have them on hand. Now I will see if I can correct that other post.

He seems fine! He is adjusting to being outside he has been in a shop till he was big enough to join others! He prefers to stay in the hut outside in the pen. It's been both wings but he pulls them up too!
He is eating drinking just unsure out doors.
I think we move him to his other pen if the big male gets cranky during mating season!

He seems fine! He is adjusting to being outside he has been in a shop till he was big enough to join others! He prefers to stay in the hut outside in the pen. It's been both wings but he pulls them up too!
He is eating drinking just unsure out doors.
I think we move him to his other pen if the big male gets cranky during mating season!

Good to hear that he is looking good. Droopy wings can sometimes be the bird is in a weakened state and sometimes it can mean they are just feeling lazy. If he were my bird I would just see how he appears in relation to your other birds. If they are standing tall with wings tucked tight and he keeps letting his wings droop it could be a cocci or worm problem. Just a heads up in case there is something going on.

Back
Top Bottom