How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

I recently read a great book, "Why Did the Chicken Cross the World" by Andrew Lawler. He mentions chicken sexing in the book via the process already mentioned here - the bump inside the vent indicates a male. But apparently it is as much art as science, said something in the book about if you try too hard you won't get it right and that only certain people have a gift for consistently being able to do it correctly.

I am a total newbie and have my first chickens. They are about 6 weeks old and I have no idea what sex they are. I have watched you tube videos and read very different ideas on how to tell a rooster from a hen and am more confused then ever. Anyone out there that can help?

You can post pictures on the what breed and gender forum. Otherwise I can always tell my roosters by their combs getting pink in the first few months, the girls keep their yellow orange combs until they reach sexual maturity.

I find this site really un user friendly. I'd like to post about three pictures of my chicks there about a month old to see if some of the experts can tell the roosters and hands I have a feeling but I'm not sure

I find this site really un user friendly. I'd like to post about three pictures of my chicks there about a month old to see if some of the experts can tell the roosters and hands I have a feeling but I'm not sure
It does take some time to get the hang of this site. The desktop version can be more complicated and slower, I use the mobile version that has some limitations but is easier to navigate. Though to post photos I use the desktop. Welcome to the site, did you introduce yourself in the new members section, they can help talk you through using the site.

It does take some time to get the hang of this site. The desktop version can be more complicated and slower, I use the mobile version that has some limitations but is easier to navigate. Though to post photos I use the desktop. Welcome to the site, did you introduce yourself in the new members section, they can help talk you through using the site.

Thank you for answering! I tried to introduce myself! I do most of this on my phone. Im pretty tech smart so thank you for being willing to see my perpective!
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
1f49b.png

Thank you for answering! I tried to introduce myself! I do most of this on my phone. Im pretty tech smart so thank you for being willing to see my perpective!
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
I just kept poking and prodding around and eventually figured most stuff out, but even after a year I'm still learning some stuff and how to use it. I found it to be part of the adventure. Most people will help if you ask, I personally enjoy the challenge of getting it myself.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom