How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

Can you please help me in sexing my standard buff Orpington chick need help thanks

Ok first off-that is NOT a buff Orpington. How do I know? Because my main breed is buff Orpingtons and that is not one. the leg coloring is yellow for one. Orpingtons don't have yellow legs. Also the coloring is off-too much red.

Secondly, that does appear to be a male. The comb is large and those legs look VERY thick.

That being said-I have a female that I thought was a male for sure. She was bigger than the rest and her legs were huge also. She acted like a male too. Other people told me she was probably a roo. She is a beautiful hen-my most beautiful- and will start laying any day now. I can not wait to breed her for her high standard of physical quality. Sometimes chickens can be deceiving-although that one does look like a roo.

I tried this last year, kept 24 cute "girls", and sold the rest of the baby chicks....

Every single one turned out to be a rooster!!!!!!!!!!!

Never again....

Tried the "leg method", or however it is called. The one that started this thread: holding them by the neck. They were all relaxed, none of them held their legs up!

Not falling for this one ever again...

Years ago I saw this method demonstrated in serous (supposedly) backyard chicken breeder or husbandry books. It just goes to show that everything works if you only let it and that it takes all kinds to make the world.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom