How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

RyanAndMeri

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
My wife and I were at the local feed store checking on their new chickens when we were taught a very interesting trick from an old-timer. He says you can hold the chicks up by the scruff of the neck (like you'd hold a baby kitten) and let their feet dangle. He says the males will pull their legs up while the females will always leave their legs dangling.

So we put it to the test. They had some chickens already sexed and we started experimenting, and sure enough the males would raise their feet up and the females would keep them dangling down.

I had never read about this technique online so I thought I'd share the wisdom. I don't know how old the chickens have to be or if it's only certain breeds but it seemed to work on the 3-6 day old chicks from several different breeds.

I have heard of this before. Never tried it. Some will say it is just an old wives tale while others feel it works. Much like getting six chicken breeders in the same room and asking them a question. You will get six diverse responses.

That would be a grate way to tell what sex of chicks i'm getting from the feed store. I hope it works.

Oh yes...I had a guy do this for me once at a TSC..by his method I grew out 5 cockerals and 3 pullets
th.gif
wink.png

is this anything like the one where you hold the baby's by the feet and hang them upside down?

males will curl up and females would just kinda hang there with the wings spread open

I tried it and I came home with 1 roo 2 pullets

a few months later tried it on the 20 chicks I ordered - well the babies did not get the memo on how they were to hang - the ones that hung down one day would curl the next - out of the 5 banty's I ordered I got 4 roos 1 hen -
ep.gif

oh well back to the drawing board

Julie

LOL loved +- 50 margin error. Perfect.

Whenever people tell you tips like that, just ask yourself.. why do the hatcheries NOT use those methods? Sure would save them a lot of money if those tips really were that correct and effective..

No, the hatcheries being ignorant is not an answer.. they have heard of and probably tried everything under the sun.. after all they need to make a profit..

Back
Top Bottom