How to sex buff Orpingtons?

JenMT

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
I got 7 new strait-run (spelling?) BO's today. I really want a rooster......ONE ROOSTER NOT 7! They are probably about 4 days old. Any suggestions on how I can tell the sex? I tried to pick the most aggressive looking ones and the ones with the most developed combs if that even matters. Wish me luck!

I am no expert, and the safest thing by far is to wait until your peeps are several weeks old, but my buff orp pullets seemed to feather out on their wings ahead of the males. Can you post any photos? Congratulations on your peeps!

My BO chick is growing SOOOO fast - way faster than the australorp who shares the brooder. I'm hoping it's a pullet and not a roo so it's good to hear (and not just from this thread) that the BOs grow so quickly.

Quote:
I don't know necessarily more - never sexed birds in my life - I just happened to watch the "Dirty Jobs" and "How It's Made" episodes. Not all chicks are sexed in the same manner, that's all.

I didn't know - until I read that article - that not all chicks could be vent sexed. Heck, I thought that was a guaranteed way to know!
cool.png

Quote:
I don't know necessarily more - never sexed birds in my life - I just happened to watch the "Dirty Jobs" and "How It's Made" episodes. Not all chicks are sexed in the same manner, that's all.

I didn't know - until I read that article - that not all chicks could be vent sexed. Heck, I thought that was a guaranteed way to know!
cool.png

unless you know how to do it,,vent sexing can be dangerous to the bird.

I hatch and sell over 300 BO per year.. how many do you hatch and sex? quite a job isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom